Home » Campus » Alumni » University Police adds 2 Ohio State alums to its ranks

University Police adds 2 Ohio State alums to its ranks

Alan Horujko (left) and John Quinlan are the newest officers in the OSU Police Department. Credit: Eric Weitz / Lantern reporter

Alan Horujko (left) and John Quinlan are the newest officers in the OSU Police Department. Credit: Eric Weitz | Lantern reporter

University Police recently hired two new officers to its ranks, and although both men received their undergraduate degrees from Ohio State, neither started their college careers with the intent of returning to campus as uniformed officers.

Officers John Quinlan and Alan Horujko became the two newest members of the department, which employs 47 sworn police officers on the Columbus campus, Office of Administration and Planning spokesman Justin Moss said in an email.

Quinlan said he began his law-enforcement career after teaching Spanish and German for several years for the Olentangy School District.

“It’s a second career that I’ve always loved and wanted to do,” Quinlan said of the switch to law enforcement.

The Bucyrus, Ohio, native completed his degree in Spanish at OSU after serving as a linguist in the U.S. Army.

“My only career path in the Army that I was interested in was being a Spanish linguist,” he said.

After his time in the Army, Quinlan began college in Germany before transferring to OSU, where he received his bachelor’s degree in Spanish and a master’s degree in education. He is now finishing a second master’s degree in criminal justice from the University of Cincinnati.

“This was my No. 1 goal,” he said of his new career as a university police officer. “It was the perfect way for me to combine education and law enforcement.”

Horujko was sworn in on Jan. 13. The Cincinnati native studied security and intelligence at OSU and graduated in 2012 after working with Student Safety Services.

“That’s kind of what led me to wanting to become a police officer,” said Horujko, who was an engineering major for three years.

Horujko said that he did not feel as passionately about engineering as his classmates did, so he began working with Student Safety Services before changing his major.

“I just couldn’t see myself sitting in a cubicle,” Horujko said of his decision to leave engineering and pursue law enforcement.

“By working (at Student Safety Services) and seeing what the police do, and what Student Safety does on the campus, the kind of behind-the-scenes stuff really led me to a law enforcement career,” he said.

OSU’s two newest officers are now part of about 240 staff members who work for the Department of Public Safety, which employs sworn police officers, security officers and Student Safety Service officers, in addition to dispatchers and security teams, Moss said.

Of the two positions that Quinlan and Horujko filled, one was vacant due to retirement and the other was a new position, Moss added.

Quinlan said that he thinks a lot of skills will transfer from his career in education to his new job.

“I’ve been working with high school students for quite a few years,” he said. “I’ve dealt with a number of issues that I think are going to be common to young people at this level.”

1. Pingback: Suspect Killed After Knife And Vehicle Attack At Ohio State University – Nation & World News

2. Pingback: Officer who stopped OSU stabbing attack credited as hero | NBC4i.com

3. Pingback: Suspect Killed After Knife And Vehicle Attack At Ohio State University - News

4. Pingback: Officer who stopped OSU stabbing attack credited as hero | KXAN.com

5. Pingback: Officer who stopped OSU stabbing attack credited as hero | KLFY

6. Pingback: Officer who shot Ohio State attack suspect is a Tri-State native and OSU graduate – WCPO

7. Pingback: Officer who stopped OSU stabbing attack credited as hero

8. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 – Viraw

9. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 9 – New York Times | Turhan Erel

10. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 9 - New York Times - Nationwide Dispensaries

11. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 9 - New York Times - The Cannabidiol Oils Domain

12. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 9 – New York Times | | Nine Most Likely Words From Congress

13. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 | Breaking US news

14. Pingback: Extra-Credit Assignment – Site Title

15. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed In Attack At Ohio State University That Injured 9 – New York Times | | All Breaking News

16. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 - New York Times - Nationwide Dispensaries

17. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 - New York Times - The Cannabidiol Oils Domain

18. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 - New York Times - Stock Quotes Now

19. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 – New York Times | | Nine Most Likely Words From Congress

20. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 - SomTribune

21. Pingback: Suspect Is Killed in Attack at Ohio State University That Injured 11 - New York Times - WewUnik

22. Pingback: HERO: Officer Who Killed OSU Campus Attacker Was Featured In Active Shooter Training Video, One Year Ago – Independent Journal Review | SFO

23. Pingback: This is the hero Ohio State police officer that saved countless lives today - Enabon

24. Pingback: Notice Anything Familiar About Officer Who Killed The OSU Attacker? Look Closely... | The Federalist Papers

25. Pingback: Hero Cop Who Killed OSU Terrorist Was In “Active Shooter” Training Video One Year Ago | From the Trenches World Report

26. Pingback: Hero Cop Who Killed OSU Terrorist Was In “Active Shooter” Training Video One Year Ago - Alternative Report

27. Pingback: Hero Cop Who Killed OSU Terrorist Was In “Active Shooter” Training Video One Year Ago | |

28. Pingback: THIS IS THE HERO OHIO STATE POLICE OFFICER THAT SAVED COUNTLESS LIVES TODAY - USA DAILY INFO

29. Pingback: Notice Anything Familiar About Officer Who Killed The OSU Attacker? Look Closely...