Home » Campus » Area » Ohio State sent at least 38 people to national title game

Ohio State sent at least 38 people to national title game

OSU players run onto the field before kickoff at the 2015 College Football Playoff National Championship against Oregon on Jan. 12 in Arlington, Texas. OSU won, 42-20. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Nearly 90 fewer Ohio State officials traveled to the National Championship game than to the Sugar Bowl, according to documents provided by the university Thursday.

At least 38 OSU affiliates went to the Jan. 13 game in North Texas, in which OSU defeated Oregon, 42-20. That official-party list included President Michael Drake and his wife, Brenda, Board of Trustees members and guests, and OSU staff.

That is compared to 124 people whose Sugar Bowl expenses were covered by OSU when they saw the Buckeyes defeat Alabama Jan. 1 in New Orleans. That trip cost roughly $372,000.

Cost figures for the championship trip were unavailable as of Thursday.

OSU spokesman Gary Lewis said the championship trip was different from  the Sugar Bowl — or past bowl games — because it was the first-ever College Football Playoff National Championship game and was played within two weeks of the Sugar Bowl. There also was not a “bowl tour,” which would include flights, food, lodging and a game ticket for some university affiliates.

“Instead, arrangements were made for a much smaller number of university staff and dignitaries to travel to the game as the official university party,” Lewis stated in an email. “Because of this short time period in which to plan for the event and the differing travel schedules for the attendees, the list of championship game travelers is much smaller than the Sugar Bowl list.”

He also noted that invoices of travel arrangements have not all been received by the university yet, and not everyone will seek to  be reimbursed for their expenses. While many from the university might have attended the game on business, they weren’t part of the official university party, so their information wasn’t readily available.

Lewis said a full list of the trip, including who went and what it cost, will be available in the spring when OSU reports the  information to the NCAA.

1. I am a proud alumnus. I give money every year for students. Then I hear administrators,, who are making a lot off money, are mooching off the university to go to a game. Pardon me, I still think of Ohio State S an academic institute. I don’t want to support the football team (for whom I once worked). It looks like OSU has enough money and my money (and that of my employer) will have to go elsewhere.

2. I agree that university employees attending the CFP game ‘on the university’s dime’ is a thorny issue, but I’m not sure I agree with your (mis)conception that the football team (or Athletics staff) attendance was on it also. If you ‘once worked’ for Athletics, you should have known that their budget is self-supporting, and does not draw from university funds. In fact, they portion part of their budget to give money BACK to the university.

3. This us just not right. These people need to pay just like anyone else. I can see sending The AD and The President. But the rest need to pay, just like me.

Respectfully,

J Rapach

4. This is a complete non-story. Why would the school not send non-football personnel to bowl games??? Never seen a story written like this before….is this the first time the school has sent non-football personnel to a bowl game.

Very silly story if you ask me. A proud dues paying alum. Feel free to use my dues for this type of thing or anything else you want…..that’s what it’s for.

And by the way, I think the school recouped some of the cost for WINNING both games…..Go Bucks!!!!

5. Mike norton is right

So, what, we are going to require the University to represent OSU at the game, but expect them to pay for it?
    Do you not get that someone from the University, besides the coaching staff, is expected to be there?
    60,000 students, 24,000 staff, and we sent 38 people.
    Get a grip, Lantern.
    Once again diving down a rabbit hole of irrelevance.

6. This just sounds like sour grapes to me. I’m sure you could find something more pertinent to write about. Do you think that your whole reason for being is to “expose” OSU because you’re not getting what you “think” you deserve?