New York Knicks president Phil Jackson was at the Schottenstein Center on Feb. 26 to watch OSU beat Nebraska, 81-57. Jackson could be facing a fine from the NBA for comments about OSU freshman guard D'Angelo Russell. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson was at the Schottenstein Center on Feb. 26 to watch OSU beat Nebraska, 81-57. Jackson could be facing a fine from the NBA for comments about OSU freshman guard D’Angelo Russell.
Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Lantern photographer

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson could face a tampering fine from the NBA for making comments about Ohio State freshman guard D’Angelo Russell, according to multiple reports.

Jackson was on hand at the Schottenstein Center on Thursday night to watch Russell and his OSU teammates dispatch Nebraska, 81-57.

According to Cleveland.com, Jackson made comments about Russell as he was leaving the arena.

“He’s a great-looking kid,” Jackson said. “Great prospect.”

The Knicks currently have the worst record in the NBA, meaning they will likely have a top five pick in the 2015 NBA Draft in June. Russell is currently projected to be among those top five picks.

Multiple reports emerged Friday morning saying Jackson’s comments could have violated NBA rules. League rules state that team front office’s are prohibited from discussing players who are not draft eligible.

Being fined for tampering is not foreign to Jackson. In June, he was fined $25,000 by the NBA for his comments about then-Oklahoma City Thunder guard Derek Fisher as potential candidate for the Knicks’ head coaching vacancy. Fisher was later hired as New York’s coach.

Following the conclusion of Ohio State’s season, Russell will have until April 26 to decide whether or not he will enter the NBA Draft.

Russell and the Buckeyes are scheduled to return to the court Sunday against Purdue at 7:30 p.m at the Schottenstein Center.