Home » Opinion » The Lantern wins top Ohio college newspaper award for fifth year in a row

The Lantern wins top Ohio college newspaper award for fifth year in a row

The Lantern's award Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

The Lantern‘s award
Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

The Lantern won the Frank E. Deaner Award for Excellence in Collegiate Journalism, Division A, for the fifth year in a row. It’s awarded to the top college newspaper in Ohio each year.

Other awards that The Lantern won at the Ohio Newspaper Association awards:

• First place for news coverage: Lantern staff
  • First place for best website: Lantern staff
  • First place for in-depth reporting: Kayla Byler, Caitlin Essig, Kristen Mitchell and Liz Young
  • First place for multimedia: Kayla Byler, Caitlin Essig, Kristen Mitchell and Liz Young
  • Second place for in-depth reporting: Dan Hope
  • Second place for design: Kayla Byler
  • Second place for sports coverage: Eric Seger and Daniel Rogers
  • Second place for editorial writing: Danielle Seamon
  • Third place for arts and entertainment: Danielle Seamon, Matthew Lovett and Amanda Etchison
  • Third place for photojournalism: Ritika Shah
  • Third place for headline writing: Lantern staff

1. Third place in headline writing? That’s a surprise considering the misleading nature of this article’s headline.
    *The Lantern wins Ohio’s top college newspaper award for fifth year in a row

2. Higher Expectations

TOP COLLEGE NEWSPAPER… in Ohio. We’re a nationally acclaimed university now, we can’t boast about being the best in Ohio anymore. If we’re not the best in Ohio in something, then we’re doing it wrong.

3. Best website? It screams “best WordPress themes 2007”.

4. It matters that it’s ohio when one of the “best” journalism schools is Ohio University. The fact that Ohio State is beating them says a lot

5. As an alum and Lantern reader for more than five decades……congratulations on very deserved awards.Perhaps ,your finest hour was the persistence and investigative reporting of the Jon Waters debacle.A press that informs….attempts to show both sides of issues ….allows public response and debate is an absolute in an open society.What you do and the way you address may not always be agreeable or popular,but it is respected.Thanks for your collective efforts.