Home » Campus » Area » Kappa Kappa Gamma under investigation for hazing incident

Kappa Kappa Gamma under investigation for hazing incident

The Kappa Kappa Gamma national fraternity is currently investigating OSU’s Beta Nu chapter (pictured) after receiving information on a hazing incident that allegedly involved members of the sorority on OSU’s campus. Credit: Liz Young / Editor-in-chief

An Ohio State women’s fraternity has been issued a cease and desist letter from Student Conduct amid an investigation into an alleged hazing incident.

The Kappa Kappa Gamma national women’s fraternity is currently investigating OSU’s Beta Nu chapter after receiving information on a hazing incident that allegedly involved members of the sorority on OSU’s campus, said Elizabeth Bailey, Kappa Kappa Gamma national fraternity vice president.

“The fraternity is acting quickly and has already begun an investigation into the matter, working closely with campus and university officials,” Bailey said in an email. “The safety and security of our members are of upmost (sic) priority at this time.”

Dave Isaacs, spokesman for the Office of Student Life, said the cease and desist letter means the chapter must request permission and receive confirmation from Student Life prior to participating in any activities as a chapter or student organization.

This is not the first cease and desist order given to the chapter. A similar order was issued during an investigation by Student Conduct and the fraternity’s national organization in spring 2013.

Kappa Kappa Gamma is one of 17 national sororities at OSU governed by the Panhellenic Association. The association, which is part of the Panhellenic Association Conference, consists of more than 2,000 sorority women, according to its website.

The OSU Panhellenic Association did not respond to requests for comment on Thursday.

Founded in 1870, Kappa Kappa Gamma’s headquarters are also located in Columbus, according to its website. OSU’s Beta Nu chapter was established on campus in 1888, the website said. It was the first women’s fraternity established at OSU.

Bailey said the national organization plans to continue its investigation and will take disciplinary action as necessary.

“Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity makes it clear that hazing in any form is absolutely prohibited, and any member found to have participated in hazing will be subject to serious disciplinary consequences,” she said.

1. I’m not very good with dragons! Good luck ladies!

2. Man, I really hope that Ohio State can get that beastly dragon of hazing out from deep within those womens stomachs. That must have gone a long ways down their throats to get lodged so deep in them.

3. so what is a dragon dildo and where can I buy one my partner and I are getting sick of our vanilla sex life

4. Do you think we could start charging our customers $30/month to not get slapped across the face with one of those dragon things?

5. I don’t care what mythical creature these dildos belonged to, this is an outrage.

6. Alternating between calling it a “women’s fraternity” and a “sorority” just sounds stupid.

Whom is that politically correct BS satisfying?

7. I hope this sorority outlives these accusations because when I lived in the house next door it made for great beaver shooting. A tradition worth keeping.

8. @Anonymous

Kappa Kappa Gamma, as well as other Chapters such as Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta, were founded before “Sorority” was even a term. They are therefore known as a “Women’s Fraternity”.

9. So typical

10. Kappa Kappa Gamma has a notorious and infamous history of hazing.

I found hazing to be a prevading part of the culture of Kappa on a national level. My experience as an ex pledge was that new members/pledges had to prove ourselves ‘worthy’ to be a member of KKG. The National organization of Kappa Kappa Gamma does not want this exposed, because they do not want to look bad by having to close down a chapter.

The University of Connecticut closedo the Kappa chapter after they made their pledges lay on the floor of fraternity house & sizzle like bacon while they were drunk. They were also kicked off Rollins campus for immoral conduct and hazing, Washington State for urinating in public parks in front of children by the busloads, on the way to a party. Kappa seniors at SMU, danced topless the first night they received their new pledges. It was videotaped and one member is suing their National Organization for a million dollars. Kappa’s rebuttal was that it’s common for many chapters to do this routine (future strippers & pole dancers) the day they received new pledges. They said that it is a tradition. I think it’s weird as hell. We had to spend an hour a day on Greek Rank and other Greek sites up voting Kappa and down voting Pi Phi, Theta, and all the sororities that were voted better than Kappa. My parents had warned me about this sorority the days they were in college.

11. Kappa Kappa Gamma has a notorious and infamous history of hazing.