Home » Campus » Area » Ohio State USG election 2015: Abby Grossman and Abby Waidelich

Ohio State USG election 2015: Abby Grossman and Abby Waidelich

USG presidential candidate Abby Grossman (right), a third-year in math education, and vice presidential candiate Abby Waidelich, a third-year in biological engineering. Credit: Courtesy of Abby Grossman & Abby Waidelich

USG presidential candidate Abby Grossman (right), a third-year in math education, and vice-presidential candiate Abby Waidelich, a third-year in biological engineering. Credit: Courtesy of Abby Grossman & Abby Waidelich

Undergraduate Student Government presidential candidate Abby Grossman and vice-presidential candidate Abby Waidelich are looking to become the second all-female presidential ticket in the school’s history, and they stress it will be through teamwork that they find success.

“We have 40 unbelievable senators and I cannot stress enough how hard they are working,” Grossman said. “Our tent in the Oval has six or seven people at it almost all the time. People genuinely want to be doing everything they can because they believe in this team. It’s very inspiring.”

Grossman, a third-year in education from Cleveland, has held multiple jobs at USG, including serving as the current organizational outreach director. She is also an active member of the Alpha Phi sorority, Rho chapter, serving as director of formal recruitment.

“We as a team bring a unique perspective to undergraduate students,” Grossman said. “I want to be a math teacher and Waidelich wants to be an engineer. We are in this because we want to make change for the better. We have the institutional knowledge from being in USG, we have accomplished a lot in USG so far and we just want to continue that.”

Waidelich, a third-year in biological engineering from Zionsville, Ind., also held various positions in USG and currently serves as senior director of public relations and is an active member of Kappa Delta sorority, Sigma Kappa chapter.

“We are math and engineering majors, we aren’t here to make political gains after graduation,” Waidelich said. “We are here to make changes while we are here for all OSU students. That’s the importance of this campaign.”

One way Waidelich and Grossman plan to make positive change if elected is improving on student safety.

“Our top priority is to make sure students are safe, and feel comfortable here at OSU,” Grossman said.

The safety initiative consists of a four-point plan, Grossman and Waidelich said. The plan includes mandatory safety training for incoming freshmen, enacting a Good Samaritan Law, which would provide legal protection to individuals who give reasonable assistance to others who are incapacitated or injured, increased lighting on Pearl Street and working to lower wait times for the Student Safety Service.

Another way to improve the lives of students is by making OSU more affordable, Waidelich and Grossman said. A plan to partner with an airline in order to get student discounts on airfare is a way of doing that.

“We have so many partners here at OSU, to partner with an airline is not something new,” Grossman said. “It’s been done by a few universities. To get OSU to partner with an airline that has heavy traffic in and out of the Columbus airport seems like a no-brainer.”

Though challenging and hectic at times, Grossman said she has enjoyed her time campaigning thus far.

“The past few days, and the past year really, has been such a humbling experience,” Grossman said. “I know what our team is doing isn’t for me, for Waidelich, or for themselves. It’s for the whole team and what we think we can accomplish. We never make decisions just the two of us, it’s always a team decision.”

If elected, both Grossman and Waidelich said they will stress the importance of their teamwork in overcoming challenges.

“Abby and I are one together,” Waidelich said. “Our team is one together. Having the right team in place, who are passionate about it, and are doing it for the right reasons is what we want, and that is what our team is about.”

There is one other campaign team running in this year’s USG election: Michelle Bennett is running for president with Noel Fisher, who is running for vice president.

USG voting will begin at noon on Monday and conclude at 11:59 p.m. Wednesday. The ballot will be available at usg.osu.edu.

1. Partnering with an airline should not be a main priority for student government. This is ridiculous, they are ridiculous! Also, who’s going to pay for that? Additional fees? Increased fees? You can’t take affordability when you have a plan that would increase/add fees! Come on now!

2. Exceptional Student

Abby and Abby are the most qualified and capable leaders in this election. I’m voting for them!

3. pretty sure they cheated and are being repremanded

4. Their campaign got access to the IFC twitter account and started using it to campaign. Then they blocked all the fraternities and sororities in order to prevent them from noticing. That’s dirty politics right there.

5. Doesn’t Davonti have better things to do than to libel on Lantern articles? Heard he hasn’t been doing a very good job as a campaign manager.

6. This is ridiculous, it’s all so fake I couldn’t even finish the article. Vote for anyone else and you’ll be better off. This is not the pair I want representing The Ohio State.

7. Grossman came and talked at my student org. Her idea of the average student really offended me. Don’t assume that 90% of the student body is uninformed and doesn’t care about anything but partying. Seems arrogant.

8. As if it freaking matters, Anonymous. USG is useless and only capable of extremely superficial action like discounts and free basketball tickets. It also serves as a way to control and limit what clubs are allowed to exist. Drake or Steinmetz tell them what they pass and they do it. During a time of tuition hikes and budget cuts, a real representative student government would at least have SOME differences with administration on behalf of the students.

It doesn’t matter who “represents Ohio State” in the USG because the USG is only a rubber stamp entity for the administration. It could be a squirrel with an acorn for a running mate and no one would notice any difference, because USG doesn’t make a difference in the first place.

9. Can Isaac Caverly and the MacDowell twins please stop commenting? We get the picture…you’re all divas.

10. abby are you paranoid?

11. I knew Grossman in high school, and it seems like she really loves the spotlight and running for things, albeit with a lack of real political skill or savvy.

Just by looking at their mindless campaign points that emphasize vague points like “we’ll make campus safer” and “we’ll let you rollover blocks” (which has no chance of actually happening and gets offered every year) you can tell this is just like another high school election to them. They just want to win and be popular.

Having this people do a real political debate would be hilarious/sad though, so there’s that

12. I knew Grossman in high school, and it seems like she really loves the spotlight and running for things, albeit with a lack of real political skill or savvy.

Just by looking at their mindless campaign that emphasize vague points like “we’ll make campus safer” and “we’ll let you rollover blocks” (which has no chance of actually happening and gets offered every year) you can tell this is just like another high school election to them. They just want to win and be popular, while in reality they seem very out of touch with what is going on.

13. Bad fact checking

This is not the second “all female presidential ticket” in OSU USG history. They would be the second all-female administration, if elected. Many all-female tickets (such as Jordan and Ashley) have run before and lost the election.

14. It dominates USG, as well as many of the staff positions in Student Life.
    How is a campus as diverse as ours okay with sororities and frats being the pipeline for student government and student life?

15. Someone please tell me how i followed their account on Instagram without actually ever following it. Just for that, I’m not voting for them.

16. When I consider all of the problems at this public, land-grant state school, there’s always one thing that tops the list: not enough corporate sponsorship. Thank the Lord we have a cracker jack team like Abby & Abby running so that we can get to the bottom of this seriously debilitating issue. Quite frankly, I don’t know how we have lasted this long without one. The proof that private company/institution of learning relationships are mutually beneficial is everywhere: Privatization of parking on campus, for instance, has worked wonders so far, and we can only expect things to get better as rates begin to rise as per the contract.

But why stop at just some airline? To really get things going, we should have big billboards for Monster, Kickstart, the newest Victoria’s Secret lineup (thanks Wex) right on the Oval. We should take in money from as many companies as we can and rename the Thompson the Coca-Cola Doritos Book Palace in their honor. If we play our cards right, maybe we can even have everyone’s First Year Experience package include a copy of the newest Call of Duty and a subscription to Birch Box or Loot Crate. This is the university that we as Americans truly deserve.

And also God bless the USG bylaws that revoke tuition fees for these two–they truly deserve it. I, for one, think it’s an absolutely appropriate prioritization of funds to make sure that two special girls in Greek life from middle-to-upper class families get free rides while adjunct faculty working 80 hours a week can literally not afford to pay their rent. Their situations might be unfortunate, but hey, at least we all get to share in the far-reaching and variegated benefits that fall out of the USG tree. Here’s to hoping that airline partnership pans out, ladies!

17. @airplaneOSU How would it “cost” money to partner with an airline? Have you ever made business decisions? Do you know what it means to “partner?” It doesn’t have to cost money. They receive an enormous amount of exclusive RESIDUAL (look it up) business and in return OSU students receive more affordable air travel. I don’t understand the negative view of that idea, at all.

@John well said, my friend.

Maybe you all are right, Greek life has a heavy hand in USG, which is ironically largely political. We have to understand that the way some things work is out of our control and NOT EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. Why not look at the POSITIVES of both pairs of candidates? I read all the comments on both lantern articles and didn’t see one positive post. Get your heads out of your ass, suck it up, and do your best to bare with the imperfections of the world people. We aren’t on this earth long enough to have time to criticize our entire lives.

18. Please tell me how $1,000 is going to decrease wait times for student safety when you have to expand vehicles and pay people to operate the vehicles.