Credit: Rod Berry / Ohio Stock Photography

While many hope to get away and go to the beach, for others, going home or staying in Columbus is the only option for spring break. If you’re in that latter boat, there’s some good news: Spring is in the air and there are countless ways to explore the greater Columbus area. Whether it’s fine wine, live music, exquisite cuisine or a night at the movies, there is certainly no reason to be bored this spring break.

Irish festivities

Davis-Shai House outside of Newark will host the “March into Spring Irish Tea” on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. The event will include traditional Irish cuisine, live entertainment and, of course, tea. Admission is $17.

Be sure to attend the 2015 Irish Family Reunion on Saint Patrick’s Day. This is an enormous event held in the Greater Columbus Convention Center that begins at noon. There will be local Irish bands and Irish dancers with food and drinks available for purchase. Tables for 10 can be purchased for $130, but individual tickets range from $13 for adults to $8 for children between the ages of 5 and 17. Children 4 and under are free.

There’s also a St. Patrick’s Day Parade beginning at 11:30 a.m. It will begin at St. Patrick Church, go south on Grant Avenue, west on Broad Street and north on High Street, eventually ending at the Convention Center.

In the Wexner Center Film/Video Theatre, “Wings of the Morning” will be playing at 7 p.m. on Tuesday. Admission ranges from $6 to $8. Treat your sweetheart to this romantic film that celebrates the 100th anniversary of Technicolor with this delightful new digital restoration.

A romantic getaway

You can reserve a spot for a free tour of New Albany’s Wyandotte Winery on Saturday at either 12:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. This is the “first and oldest winery in Central Ohio,” according to its website. Each tour lasts approximately an hour; afterward, you can stay for a wine tasting or lunch to wrap up this romantic getaway.

The RockSide Winery & Vineyards in Lancaster, Ohio, will offer live music Saturday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. with no cover charge or reservations required. Wine and light food will be available for purchase, but bringing in your own food or ordering from a local pizzeria is also welcomed. So take your sweetheart out for a night on the town for a darling picnic, wine and live music.

Franklinton’s Strongwater Food and Spirits is hosting “The Big Easy 2015” on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. It will celebrate the best of Speak Easy, a local storytelling group, with tellers sharing their true stories. Check its website for more information; admission is either $10 or $12.

On Wednesday, Cloak & Dagger at Shane’s Dinner Theatre will host “The Meowhattan Project: Improv Comedy” beginning at 8 p.m. This comedic group boasts feline influences and should prove to be a delightful night of laughter for you and your significant other. Admission is only $5 but be sure to reserve your tickets in advance.

Camelot Cellars Winery is throwing a “Mini Spa Night” on Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. This will be a relaxing evening with wine aplenty; you can pamper yourself by picking from different spa services that are each $15. Plus, 25 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Colony Cats & Dogs of Columbus, which means you can indulge while still giving back to the community.

Shane’s Dinner Theatre will have another wonderful opportunity to experience live entertainment with the performance of an original murder mystery by Cloak & Dagger, “The Mystery of Camp Killapunk.” This will take place on March 20 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and admission ranges from $49.40 to $68.35. Be sure to purchase your tickets in advance for a night of mystery and intrigue.

Family fun

COSI is hosting a Rube Goldberg Machine Contest on Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. where you can vote for your favorite whimsical machine that accomplishes a somewhat simple task in a way that you would not expect. Admission ranges from $14 to $19 or is included with COSI admission ($19 for adults) or membership.

The whole family can get involved in Art Explorations on Saturday in the Urban Arts Space of the Lazarus Building downtown. Here, kids ages 4 to 11 and their families create art in the atmosphere of a gallery — this should prove to be an exciting opportunity for the family (and it’s free). Attendees must RSVP on the Urban Arts Space website.

The Wexner Center for the Art’s Film/Video Theatre will be presenting “Hugo” in 3-D Saturday, at 2 p.m. Admission is free for all audiences, but be sure to reserve your tickets in advance.

The Ohio Wildlife Center will host “A Day with Wildlife” on Tuesday where children ages 5 to 12 will have the opportunity to take care of animals and go on nature hikes. Admission is $55 and pre-registration is required.

The Studio Movie Grill will host “Family Rewind: The Wizard of Oz” on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Enjoy this classic movie with the whole family; tickets are only $3.