Home » Campus » Oxley’s closed because of water main break

Oxley’s closed because of water main break

Oxley’s by the Numbers was closed Tuesday morning because of a water main break on Neil Avenue. Credit: Amanda Etchison / Campus editor

Oxley’s by the Numbers was closed Tuesday morning because of a water main break on Neil Avenue, said Dave Isaacs, spokesman for Student Life.

No cold water was available in Dreese Laboratories, Enarson Classrooms Building and Tuttle Park Place Garage because of an underground water leak, Dan Hedman, Administration and Planning spokesman, said in an email. The leak also caused power to be shut down at the Maintenance Building, though it was restored by about 2:15 p.m., he added.

“Crews have identified the location of the leak and are working to identify the source to repair it,” Hedman said.

David Frank, a second-year in electrical and computer engineering, said he wasn’t too upset by his inability to get to Oxley’s.

“It’s not that big of a deal to me,” he said. “I’ll probably just go someplace else.”

But other students said they did feel slightly inconvenienced.

Samantha Buck, a first-year in actuarial science, said the main break interrupted her morning routine.

“I’m sad I can’t get my morning coffee,” she said. “I’ll probably just wait (until Oxley’s opens again).”

It was unknown when Oxley’s will reopen, Hedman said. The cafe was still closed as of 4:30 p.m.

Editor’s note: Updated to reflect power restoration at the maintenance building.

1. Who gives a shit what some student thinks about the water main break? Since when did utilities infrastructure problems get addressed by a factor of “how annoyed will students be with this project?” The author wrote a horrible article. How about instead of playing “how do you feel” with the 50 closest students you put on a hardhat, high-vis jacket, safety glasses, and go up to the jobsite and ask the foreman about whats going on. You might get something worth reading then.

2. Who gives a crap what some student thinks about the water main break? Since when did utilities infrastructure projects get addressed by a factor of “how annoyed will students be with this project?” The author wrote a horrible article. How about instead of playing “how do you feel” with the 50 closest students you put on a hardhat, high-vis jacket, safety glasses, and go up to the jobsite and ask the foreman about whats going on. You might get something worth reading then.