Home » Campus » Area » 3rd marching band director finalist to visit campus Friday, Saturday

3rd marching band director finalist to visit campus Friday, Saturday

opinion_band

The Ohio State University Marching Band. Credit: Lantern file photo

A third finalist for Ohio State Marching Band director is set to visit campus Friday and Saturday.

Douglas Henderson, associate director of bands and director of the Cowboy Marching Band at Oklahoma State University, is expected to participate in an “extensive number of meetings, interviews, auditions and conversations” during his visit, according to an email from associate director of university bands Scott Jones to OSU band members.

The Lantern obtained this email Friday.

The email encourages OSU marching and athletic band members to take part in a “meet the candidate” session with Henderson at the Steinbrenner Band Center on Friday evening.

Band members’ feedback will be collected electronically.

Henderson’s visit comes after a second finalist, Corey Spurlin, associate director of bands, marching band director and associate professor of music at Auburn University, dropped out of the running.

Another finalist, Barry Houser, director of the University of Illinois Marching Illini and Athletic Bands, dropped out earlier this month as well.

The band’s former director, Jonathan Waters, was fired in July after an OSU investigation found the band contained a highly sexualized culture.

1. This is BS. The best candidate is Jonathan Waters. I am so ashamed of my university.

2. As a TBDBITL parent I find it totally unacceptable that they automatically disqualify any OSU grad from consideration as director. This is a slap in the face to anyone that ever earned the right to wear the Ohio State Marching Band uniform. They will eventually lower the standards and dig deep enough to find someone who has no common sense to take the job and what will the band be then? What they did to Jon was atrocious. What they are doing now to Dr. Hoch is a slap in the face for everything he has done for these kids and this band. Why not give Dr. Hoch, Dr. Stewart and Dr. McDavid the same opportunity they are giving these outsiders to meet and be judged by the students? These are all fine men that should have the highest consideration. The university is not being mandated by Title IX to hire an outside director. I don’t believe Betty Montgomery and the task force had an objection to having a director that came from TBDBITL. I don’t even know that it is Drake in this part of the matter (he is guilty of far too many other things). Could it be Blatti, Mickleson and Jones pulling these strings to get someone from outside they know they can control? Wake up people and hear the woodwinds because they will be on the field soon if nothing is done (along with flags and majorettes).

3. Let me get this straight:

Someone who has not come through the OSUMB is automatically not qualified to lead the program? This seems to be the logic of many people associated with the program. So let’s flip the script….

Urban Meyer was not a graduate of OSU, grew up in Ohio, coached at BG, has proven himself OUTSIDE OF THE UNIVERSITY and everyone welcomes him with open arms, a red carpet, money, etc.

Dr. Henderson, not a OSU grad, terminal degrees from two fantastic school/teachers, teaching and performance experience both nationally and internationally, could bring even more great/positive exposure to an already fantastic program in the OSUMB & OSUAB…..yet, he isn’t qualified or welcome?

Dr. Hoch would have been a great choice for the position, no doubt about it, but he isn’t. The other 3 candidates have resumes that far exceed writing shows that have gone viral on YouTube. What Hoch and Waters have done for this program are incredible but the only thing they can hang their hats on are being on YouTube. Since when does millions of YouTube hits make someone qualified to be a band director of a marching band? What sense does that make? That’s like saying that publisher of any YouTube hit is qualified to run Apple, Microsoft, etc. Yes, carrying along traditions of the program are there, same style uniforms, marching technique, auditions, blah, blah, who cares…..really, in the grand scheme of things?

This position means more to the university now than every before and they want someone in there who has proven themselves as an educator on a much bigger scale than OSU. Why wouldn’t people want that anyways?

People need to be open to someone else, THAT IS NOT APART OF THIS PROGRAM, to lead and do what he (or she if it ever happened) needs to do to maintain the all of the great things about the program that the entire rest of the world has come to know. There will be no woodwinds, color guard (flags, rifels, sabers, etc), twirlers or anything that is not brass and percussion. If you really think that anyone is going to come in and change that, you are an idiot. The traditions of this band have been around for far to long for someone to come in and change that. If they hire Henderson, great!!

Hoch would need to learn to work with someone who offers a different perspective than what he has…..and if he really loves the program as much as the rest of the alumni, current membership, parents, fans then he would do that and so should you!

Finally, SHUT UP!!!!! THE ADMINISTRATIONS ISN’T GOING TO HIRE SOMEONE WITH OSU TIES AND IF THEY DO, THEY WILL LOOK STUPID!!!! At the end of the day, there will still be a band on the field when for the 1st home game against Hawaii and they will look and sound just as great as they have since 1878. Give it a rest, let the process work. Jesus….

4. For all of you idiots that think that any director is going to come in here and change the group, read the second to last paragraph at the bottom of the page.

https://artsandsciences.osu.edu/news/OSUMB-director-search-cmte-named

I will even post it here for you since some of you guys are clinically insane:
    “The new director will continue the “all-brass-and percussion” instrumentation and the band’s famous “fast cadence with a high knee lift.” No uniform or style changes are planned. Additionally, the new director will need to embrace the band’s high standard of on-field performance that has brought worldwide acclaim for its intricacy, musicality and artistry.”

No changes to the band are going to happen. It will remain as is and if for some reason a director wants that, he will probably be met by a mob (depending on how fast those old, cantankerous band alumni get to him).

5. The administration already looks stupid, so they should at least get somebody who understands how the OSUMB system works.

6. Why do people act like the OSUMB “system” is so complicated it could be the cure for cancer?

Band is band, school is school, music is music. The results are always the same even though the process/path/journey/ride may be different.

OSUMB does a lot of great and different things but it doesn’t take the latest Nobel Peace Prize to figure out how to do “marching band”. If a director thinks he is really good enough to take this job, than he is good enough to learn the system and take the position.

7. Actually “So” Urban Meyer has a graduate degree from OSU and has nothing to do with this. Urban must be part of your talking points because you are not the first to bring him up as an example. A student member of the selection committee just quit the committee because she felt her input was not being heard in part because no “OSU” candidates were being considered. I am open to someone from the outside but what I am against is excluding anyone with OSU ties. I hope that when a situation arises that negatively affects your family, or an organization you care so deeply about, that you can continue to just blow it off and “let the process work”. I also hope that if you apply for a job the school from which you graduated it is not held against you. I am fired up because I am a TBDBITL parent and this affects my kid and an organization I care deeply about. What is your reason to be fired up?

8. Channel 4 just posted this on their website

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/28891247/osu-band-director-search-committee-member-resigns

It does give credence to an agenda that is troubling at best and typical of how this entire matter has been handled and the sad part of it is OSU is so far off the tracks on so many matters that it makes one wonder who is driving the Klown Kar? (and please don’t blame Drake once again-too easy- look to the not to distant past when Elwood and Joe were running the corporation at the behest of Wexner and his cabal of puppets) Combine this with the news that Geoff Chatas has decided to remain at TOSU and the University still touts him as a valued asset to the corporation is more than laughable -it is tragic.

9. Dearest TBDBITL Parent,

It is very unfortunate that folks with OSU ties have been excluded, really it is because all 3 of them would be great leaders for the program (will stand behind those words). I am completely against folks here that are crying foul because of this very situation because people act as though “exclusion from jobs, organizations, parties, etc” have never happened in life (but that leads to another topic, for another time). The student that left the search committee made up her mind on her decision and I respect that however, in how many national searches for prestigious positions in colleges and universities have allowed students to be such a huge part? That’s on the committee for leading her astray in that thinking and I wish her well in her endeavors

I have had organizations that I am affiliated with that have been scrutinized and have had many personal situations where I have been scrutinized (some caused by myself, some cause by others, for a multitude of reasons) but I have sense enough to know where I land in bigger picture of the situation. This one in particular, the university feels as though the want to stay complete start over with a brand new person away from this university. That’s their process, regardless of how people feel about it being wrong or right, everyone has to honor it. As backwards as it may seem, that is what is in place. Besides, Hoch was the #2 guy in charge when this situation hit the fan and yet kept his job. He should thank his lucky stars that he did not get canned (thrown under the bus, used as a scapegoat, blah, blah) and be grateful for the chance to still be able to work with this program and provide for his family.

As for your personal ties, the organization’s reputation took a huge hit this summer and I know how you feel (have two children, one still in the group) but from what I have seen there are still members who have left the band that are still getting great jobs in their field of choice. My child is not going to jail, will be looked at as a felon, or anything else because of what has happened. If it does, then maybe whatever place, job, location my child wants to go is not meant for him. If anything, my child is still thought of as a superstar because of their involvement in this program from their hometown band/school. There are still going to be over 400 students to show up to auditions in August, there will still be a record number of bands to show up at their Buckeye Band Invitational, they will still be the face of college marching band and ambassadors for the OSU community (like they have been in the past). It may come off as me blowing it off but my child was not physically harmed because Jon was fired or because the upper administration decided to exclude OSU folks from their search, therefore I am not up in arms. My child will still have a great career (much better than mine) and hopefully will gain a great perspective on life while this situation continues.

That’s why I am fired up about this, I have personal, deep ties to this situation (and the university AND THE ORGANIZATION) like many other people but this has been long out of our hands. Let the university works the process that they have laid out (even though it has taken forever) and leave it alone.

I do appreciate how you called out my family even though I never mentioned anything about yours. I just wanted to debate your thinking, which goes personally towards you (not your family).

Go Bucks!

With much love, grace and affection,
    So……Part 4

10. I am certainly not calling out anyone’s family. I would never do that. I certainly would not call you an “idiot” or tell you to “shut up” either. My thinking is just to be fair and get the most qualified person for the job whether it be from Ohio State, or Oklahoma State. My problem is not with the individuals, it is with the automatic exclusion of individuals based on where they went to school. That is the basis of my argument. Nothing personal. I will ultimately support the director regardless of where they are from because they will need that support.

11. Did Dr. Hoch formally apply for the job? Perhaps he has the foresight and perspective to think where he is currently is pretty good. He gets to write the shows, help keep the traditions and quality going, and assist the head director who ultimately has a lot more stress and potential consequences.

I.E. who has a job with the band and who doesn’t right now?

12. TBDBITL Parent,

Let’s kiss and make up?

🙂

13. So – Band is Band, school is school, music is music – That comment is hardly giving credit to the hard work the OSUMB puts in to make the band and give us a fantastic show every week. If they aren’t TBDBITL, why did so many people all over the world watch YouTube to view their shows. Their sound and marching is without a doubt the best across the country. Why did the concession revenues drop 70% at half time when Jon Waters took over the band? We all know this is a toxic problem which could have been avoided if the administration had handled it better.
    Are you sure you are not part of the administration?

14. Pat –
    It’s a toxic problem, because it has been festering for 30+ years with students leaders continually pushing the envelope of acceptable behavior and directors appeasing it. Could have been avoided at any time if a director had put their foot down in a serious manner.

The toxic problem has been exacerbated, because certain alumni are in denial and Mr. Waters continues to fuel the media rather than be the bigger person.

15. Not going to happen. “So” sorry.

16. So, do you guys hate me yet?

My dear pal Pat,

If I were from the administration, I have suddenly had too much free on my hand…..but I have better things to do like debate with people in the comments section of the school newspaper. I could be Jon Stewart, Abraham Lincoln, Stevie Wonder, a dog or mute lol.

I have all maintained that the OSUMB and OSUAB are fantastic organizations (anybody would agree with that). They are fantastic, great….the face of college marching band (as stated early).

My comment about “band is band” has to do with someone learning the OSUMB system and has nothing to do with how hard the group works….they work harder than any other program in the country.

Yes, the “system” the OSUMB has in place is different when looking at other programs in the country. Yes, this program is special but a qualified director should be good enough to learn the system.

Personally, YouTube hits and lowered concessions revenue for the stadium mean nothing when it comes to running a band program, being an authoritative role off the field, ensuring that the cause of this entire situation never happens again. The YouTube/viral life will still be there because both programs are still relevant and will remain that way for a long time.

17. MJ23 (A Current member of TBDBITL)

“So” please take the time to read this.

Why people should be upset – There is evidence that some group of people within the university and higher than the search committee is blatantly discriminating against OSUMB/OSUAB alumni by not permitting them to be considered for the position of head director. Plain and simple.

Director Search Goal- The goal of the search should be to find the best person for the job regardless of background. Discriminating against a group of individuals that should be seriously considered is not how you do that. I say “seriously considered” due to the amount of time, effort and dedication already given by OSUMB/OSUAB alumni. Sure there are crazy band alumni that are narrow minded and saying that we should be discriminating against outside hires, but you and I both know that discrimination in any form is not how we get the best results.

“Band is band” comment by “So” – You are clearly showing your ignorance in this matter. The OSUMB is very different from other bands in terms of processes. Marching fundamentals alone take years to fully grasp. I have witnessed this as a squad leader in the band evaluating students on their ability to perform. It’s not something someone can just come in a understand easily. Look at any of the outside hires to staff over the last several years. Mike Smith, Matt King, Bryen Warfield, Mark Reynolds all have a very small understanding of the very specific marching fundamentals that this band has maintained for many years. This is what is meant by complex processes, but also includes basic things like what time we step off for skull session and how that works. There are a lot of little things to learn for the job. To be absolutely clear before you bite my tongue off, it IS possible for someone outside to learn these things, but it is not an overnight thing that can happen in one season.

Inside hire- Even though I addressed this above, what’s wrong with supporting the inside hire? They have great resumes. If someone else is hired, Yes we will support them no doubt. Who’s best for the position? nobody knows. But why not support someone who is already proven. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s not discrimination if the other party is still receiving a fair shot.

OSUMB Future- The whole point in having deep consideration of candidates is to find someone who will uphold the greatness we all see in TBDBITL. I want to believe that “So” sees that greatness too, especially after seeing your child work so hard to become a member of the band. It’s hurtful for me as a current member to hear people say so lightly that what we do isn’t that different than what other people do. I believe this band works harder than any other band in the country. On top of that, being a member of a very competitive row in the band, I see more work and competition than many other rows. Please don’t say that “The results are always the same even though the process/path/journey/ride may be different.” We work very hard to provide results that are different from other bands. I’m sorry you can’t see that even with a child in the band.

Traditions- I don’t believe anyone coming in is trying to change traditions. We all know that. The great traditions are what link generations of this organization together. Without traditions this really would be just a class and that connection wouldn’t be so deeply felt between the new and the old generations. Traditions that “come and go” aren’t traditions, they are fads.

“So” based on your comments it seems that you can’t fully relate to what this band means to people and that you are maybe perceiving OSUMB as hype. I don’t know if you were in the band but trying out is a difficult process. Getting cut is tough too. To make this band (at least in some situations) requires a ton of effort, determination and ability to overcome adversity. I don’t know if you’ve ever marched a ramp or dotted the i after overcoming such adversity. I have and for me this experience is not something I believe you can obtain in other programs at the current moment. Don’t shoot down people’s passion because you think it’s ridiculous for them to care about who is selected. To address the second claim, maybe all you see is the hype. Maybe halftime shows all look similar to you and you don’t have an ear to notice the difference between a average band and an above average band. Maybe for the last couple years, you see the attention the band gets and deep down you wonder “why?” or “what makes this that different from other bands?”. Maybe just maybe.

All in all, this band deserves a great leader. Someone who will push the envelope, make our marching fundamentals stronger, make our musical ability stronger, provide great opportunities to the people in this band, instill a passion for buckeyes/music/marching in the younger generations, innovate with technology and maintain the long lasting prestige of this great organization. This band deserves the university’s/search committee’s/SOM’s best effort in trying to obtain that. And THAT is something we all can agree on.

18. MJ23 (A Current member of TBDBITL)

“So” please take the time to read this.

19. MJ23 (A Current member of TBDBITL)

I apologize for the double post.

20. SeekTU manages to write despite the fact that they’ve been unable to read since July 25, 2014. No problems have been “festering” for 30 years. The discipline applied to members of the OSUMB was effective. A total of three incidents over that period of time have come to light and always involved significant consequences for offenders. ALWAYS!

I think SeekTU is Chris Glaros trying to justify his incompetently conducted and thoroughly discredited investigation. Cherry picking facts to support a bad hypothesis is intellectually dishonest, and sadly the lowest common denominator in all things coming from OSU’s administration for the past nineomths.

21. Due Process – Based on employee contract – Dismissed (at-will employee)

Due Process – Based on liberty interest – Dismissed (was not stigmatized by Glaros report, and did not take advantage of name clearing hearing)

Due Process – Based on substantive due process – Dismissed (was not a scapegoat for Title IX)

We are left with one item that the Judge allowed to go forward. Does not mean he will win, simply means the other three had no legal merits. Now Mr. Waters is faced with the option that he can attempt to sue, because he wasn’t treated like a cheerleader. There are going to be enough differences between the cheerleader situation and this situation to show plenty of reasons for dismissal that had nothing to do with gender.

I hope Mr. Waters can get a refund on his attorney fees.

22. Look, before you get upset over this guy, note that “wind conducting” is the same thing as “band conducting.” In the band world, “wind” is short for “brasswind,” which is another word for “not strings.” It includes all band-related conducting: marching, symphonic, wind ensemble, and chamber winds. It is definitely NOT short for “woodwinds.”

23. SeekTU_buckeye – So it’s a “toxic problem that has been festering for 30 years”? Really? Then so has the entire college experience, because these kids did nothing more than any other students, and in reality, a good deal less. If you knew anything about the Band, you would know that this is an incredibly supportive group, I do not mean in the sense of covering up bad behavior. These young people look out for each other in ways that few other groups do, and the friends they have in band are their friends for life as a result. It is not for nothing that they called Waters the “fun police” for his efforts (acknowledged and praised by his superiors) to make sure nothing went beyond the bounds of normal student behavior. You and others are pillorying him when our University welcomes its freshmen with an event sponsored by Victoria’s Secret, playing music with suggestive and obscene lyrics, and then organizes presentation in the Union entitled the “Best Sex Ever”, complete with graphic slides and videos.
    I don’t know how you spell “hypocrisy” in your household, but both you and Ohio State provide a dictionary definition of it for the rest of us.

24. Jonathan Winters

It’s enlightening to read all of the input on this subject. As an “outsider”, meaning I’m not an OSU alumni, the point people are missing is Dr. Henderson is probably the most qualified and most revered candidate for the position he is being considered for. He turned Oklahoma State’s band around in a matter of a season and is highly regarded as a leader in his field. Ohio State Marching Band will excel far and beyond it’s current level if Dr. Henderson decides to take the position. The politics, as usual, are astounding in this matter.