Home » A+E » Despite rebrand, Big Spring Concert featuring Passion Pit still free

Despite rebrand, Big Spring Concert featuring Passion Pit still free

passion pit

Michael Angelakos of Passion Pit performs at the Austin City Limits Music Festival at Zilker Park in Austin, Texas, Saturday October 5, 2013. Credit: TNS

The Big Spring Concert, sponsored by the Ohio Union Activities Board, is set to include Passion Pit with Chromeo and Coin. The artists are scheduled to perform on the South Oval April 25. The event is free and open to Ohio State students at the Columbus campus with a valid BuckID.

OUAB has put on annual free spring concerts since 2002, except for in 2013.

Passion Pit is an electronic band that is set to release its album “Kindred” on April 21. Chromeo describes its sound as “romantic electro funk” on its Facebook page and Coin is a pop-rock quartet.

“With Passion Pit’s upcoming ‘Kindred’ album to be released, we are definitely looking forward to the exuberant atmosphere that Passion Pit and Chromeo will provide,” OUAB concert chair Matt Chimes said in an email. “After our athletic and academic successes of this past year, it seemed right to bring student live music experience that complimented this past year’s high energy.”

Last year’s spring concert featured Childish Gambino with Juicy J, The Chainsmokers and Caked Up.

Students had mixed reactions Friday to this year’s line-up.

“I was wondering when they were going to announce who was playing,” said Ryan Howard, a second-year in aerospace engineering.

Howard said he has never listened to any of the artists on the lineup.

“I’m a little disappointed, but it’s whatever,” Howard said.

Gina Vidmar, a fifth-year in economics, said she is a fan of Passion Pit and excited about the announcement.

Vidmar went to 2012 Big Free Concert which featured the artists Skrillex and Mac Miller.

“It was cool having the whole student body hang out together and listen to music,” she said.

1. Get ready for the show by listening to Passion Pit’s newest track, Until We Can’t, off their new album Kindred: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3ub_s8Gb8

2. I think Ryan Howard should go back to space or playing first base for the Phillies, or being that character on the office if he’s never heard of passion pit or chromeo

3. I am freaking excited for Passion Pit! I wish I could see them at the Big Spring Concert but I’ll just have to wait for them to come to DC in May! honestly, I’m stoked for Kindred to come out on the 21st and “Lifted Up” is constantly my current favorite song: http://smarturl.it/LiftedUpVid