Home » Campus » Area » Divisional dean of arts and humanities steps down

Divisional dean of arts and humanities steps down

Mark Shanda, divisional dean of arts and humanities, is set to step down from his position at the end of May. He will begin his new job at the Office of Academic Affairs as a faculty fellow in June. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Mark Shanda, divisional dean of arts and humanities. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

The divisional dean of arts and humanities, Mark Shanda, is set to step down from his position at the end of May.

Shanda will become a faculty member in the Department of Theatre and start as a faculty fellow in the Office of Academic Affairs on June 1, according to an email that David Manderscheid, executive dean and vice provost of the College of Arts and Sciences, sent out to faculty and staff in the college on Thursday.

Shanda will be guiding the Arts District development of the university’s framework plan, a university release said. Shanda will also serve as chair of the Arts District Steering Committee and will act as a liaison with “other arts district stakeholder groups,” according to the release.

Ohio State is moving forward on a $200 million project to renovate the university arts district. Elements of the plan include expanding the Wexner Center for the Arts, Weigel Hall, and relocating the Department of Theatre closer to High Street.

“Over the past five years, I have deeply appreciated the opportunity to work with the more than 450 faculty, 21 departments and 13 centers that make up the arts and humanities and wish each and everyone involved in the leadership of the College of Arts and Sciences nothing but success as the future unfolds,” Shanda said in a statement included in Manderscheid’s email.

His last day as divisional dean will be May 31, which Manderscheid noted is the day Shanda’s current appointment ends.

Shanda earned a base salary of $179,760 in 2014 as divisional dean.

Nominations and a screening committee for the divisional dean position are set to announced “shortly,” according to the email.

One comment

1. Dr. Clayton K. Lowe

Dean Mark Shanda is the most amazing university administrator I have ever known. When I transferred my Emeritus status from the College of Arts Administration to become an Emeritus faculty member in the Theatre Department, he immediately assigned me to three long term tasks that he perfectly matched to my interests and abilities. These kinds of perceptive insights about his colleagues and staff members were a delight to have experienced in a day when university’s around the globe are becoming more corporate than colleague and student centered in their targeted priorities. Universities, as we know them, will in the very near future be centering more on meeting corporate, industrial, and economic needs than in building the old convivial community of students, scholars and mentors. The good news? It will be good to have the professor back in the trenches where his integrity has become the touchstone of his academic career. His helpmate Ginny Shanda is made of such beautiful stuff too. Just saying. – Clayton Lowe,, Associate Professor Emeritus, Department of Theatre, The Ohio State University