Letter to the editor:

Recently, Greek life has been under fire in the national and local news. Although the issues in these articles are ones that need to be addressed, the media fails to mention the good work that Greek life men and women do, especially philanthropy and community service efforts. 

Each sorority and fraternity chapter hosts fundraisers and awareness events focusing on a certain philanthropy or cause that is close to their heart. Last year, the Greek community at Ohio State raised more than $532,661.26 for philanthropies and completed 55,308 hours of community service. This is no small accomplishment and is done by a passionate group of people who are stereotyped every day, but still succeed. 

The OSU All-Greek GPA has been above the all undergraduate GPA for past 34 consecutive academic terms, showing that Greeks not only excel in service, but also achieve in the classroom. We adhere to standards of excellence and attend events that are created to bring diverse conversations and topics into the community. 

Hazing is not a part of Greek ritual, but the bond of sisterhood and brotherhood is. Our letters do not define us but they can inspire us to become better college men and women. 

Through the ideals and values of our Greek chapters, we are able to grow as individuals, citizens and students. When all the media focus on are the negatives, the positives are forgotten. Greek life members are leaders in academics and in service who come together to create change. 

We urge our peers to consider the positive effects that Greek life has on the campus and local community and to not be drawn in by sensationalist headlines about a small minority of individuals.

Sarah Perry and Brooke Sayre

Delta Delta Delta Sorority

Third-year in public affairs and fourth-year in journalism

[email protected] and [email protected]