Home » Sports » Football » Ohio State makes Urban Meyer highest-paid Big Ten coach, extends contract through 2020

Ohio State makes Urban Meyer highest-paid Big Ten coach, extends contract through 2020

Job security won’t be a concern for Urban Meyer, at least through 2020.

The Ohio State football coach was given a three-year extension to his contract that will keep him in Columbus through 2020, and make him the highest-paid coach in the Big Ten, the school announced in a Monday press release. Meyer’s contract extension comes three months and a day after he led the Buckeyes to a victory over Oregon in the first-ever College Football Playoff National Championship.

“Urban Meyer has done an excellent job strengthening our culture of commitment to academics, career development and winning championships,” OSU vice president and athletic director Gene Smith said in the release.

“Additionally, he continues to develop his coaches and attract talented leaders when needed.”

Meyer was set to earn $4.9 million in 2015, but under the terms of his new contract he will make $5.8 million in total compensation this year, the release said. His contract also includes annual raises, which will make him average a minimum of $6.5 million each year through the end of his contract.

Meyer said in the release that he is “honored to serve as football coach at the Ohio State University,” and he thanked Smith and OSU President Michael Drake.

Meyer, entering his fourth year with OSU, has led the Buckeyes to a 38-3 record, including the national title last season. His team currently has the longest active winning streak in the NCAA at 13 games.

The Ashtabula, Ohio, native also won two national titles while coaching Florida before winning his first 24 games as the head man in Columbus. His head coaching career has spanned four schools and resulted in a 142-26 record to date.

1. Tell me again how we can’t pay athletes?
    Or faculty?
    Or Staff?

2. OSU football bring happiness for me and I am watcher last three games again and again. It is unbelievable. I hope we get another champion this again.

The pay raise is well deserved and I wish all other coaches and players also get some incentive for the championship.

3. The Lantern should do a comparison of pay between Meyer and Woody Hayes.

Can someone suggest the best bio of Woody for me? I’m no sports fan but I think I need to find out more about him. Complicated man, but with many positive traits that could be used these days. Like Hayes, I’m studying military history.

Karl
    spaulding.10

4. Here we go again. I changed my screen name and I’m still having my posts delayed.

How long will these take?

Karl

5. Outrageous. Unless students and Ohio families complain and threaten to turn the money off this kind of insanity will continue and tuitions will continue to rise. People should contact President Drake and call him on his fiscal irresponsibility.

6. Woody Hayes often turned down pay raises; walked to campus from his home in UA early on and there were lots of uncashed checks (NO DIRECT DEPOSIT BACK IN THE DAY) found in his desks both on campus and home after his death that were honorariums, etc. for speaking engagements . His charitable deeds were legendary and never publicized if he could help it. He was a fixture at Children’s (NOT NATIONWIDE CHILDREN’S-as it is now “branded”) Hospital and at University Hospital (NOT WEXNER MEDICAL CENTER as it is now “branded”) -making unannounced visits to people to make a small difference in patient’s lives. He had faults like all of us -but he was never in it for the money-it didn’t mean anything to him.

7. This is a real shame considering that his athletes don’t get paid. And saying they get a free education is a punch to their faces. The “education” they receive is worth a few thousand dollars at best. Just because the University charges tens of thousands of dollars for this “education” doesn’t mean it’s worth it.

I’d love to know how many athletes actually benefit from their supposed education. I bet the percentage is really low.

The athletes are indentured servants. What they are doing is body crushing work. Go to a football practice and try to tell me what they are doing isn’t work.

If the coach deserves to be paid millions, then the athletes deserve a part of it. The argue against this means either you are truly ignorant or heartless.

8. It is market driven. The athletes compete like hell to get into their current situation at OSU. Why should they be paid?

If coaches of Urban’s proven ability — or very nearly so — were all dying to come to Columbus, he would be paid far, far less.

Regarding a bio of Woody, I just read “A Fire to Win.” It was fine. Reasonably well researched and written, and certainly fair to him (though not fun or particularly entertaining to read).

9. Thanks for the Woody bio suggestions guys.

I don’t suppose anyone has done a cost/benefit study of how much more money Urban brings in for our “Brand” than if we had a less well known celebrity coach?

At over 6 million per year average, the money rolling in should be substantial. I bet there are lots of variables though, and OSU’s Branding Dept. could certainly manipulate the stats to make it look like Urban is carrying all of us on his shoulders!

I get the idea Woody would not be pleased with “OSU, Inc.” and the newfound importance of “branding” over education.

Karl

10. First off because of federal regulations EVERY student athlete would be required to have the exact same “pay” if that was stupidly forced through. So not just football players at rich programs, but every student athlete at every university. You really believe that the University of Akron can afford to pay thousands of dollars of cash into the pocket of their backups for their women’s swimming team? Because if not then you are really just going to be excluding more student athletes from free college educations as the universities cut away programs and scholarships.

Scholarships are enough. I was an Ohio State University student (with a 4.0 etcetera coming in) who joined the Honors Program and received a scholarship from Ohio State. My scholarship was only $800 a quarter. A full ride would have been pretty sweet and I would have had to be incredibly spoiled not to be happy with a full ride. And as for the “time commitment” at least when I attended Ohio State plenty of students also worked for the university in part time jobs while attending classes. Pretty sure they also were not blessed with full ride scholarships and still attended and received an education.

“dildo baggins” comment was absolutely asinine. Really? 4 years of college education at a world class university is “worth only a few thousand dollars”? For a guy like “dildo baggins” that might actually be true since no university is capable of planting seeds in such a dull mind like his.

11. It’s just more evidence of the deep corruption at OSU and where the priorities are for the “flagship” institution of Ohio. NO ONE at a university should be paid that much.