Dale and Luna are ready for a day of fun in the sun during the Southern California Corgi Beach Day in Huntington Beach. The duo, owned by Siu Lee, have more than 11,000 social media followers. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Dale and Luna are ready for a day of fun in the sun during the Southern California Corgi Beach Day in Huntington Beach. The duo, owned by Siu Lee, have more than 11,000 social media followers.
Credit: Courtesy of TNS

This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

California corgis, they’re undeniable

Two years ago, my family got a second corgi. That’s when we learned that doubling the amount of corgis increases General Corgi Energy (unit of measurement is a “corg”) exponentially. My two, Lucy and Little Ricky, constantly do Doggy Nascar, chasing each other in laps around the house. They pounce and knock each other off the couch, steal treats, steal my food, slobber and tease, all with goofy grins on their faces. They drive me crazy in the best of ways.

I would go absolutely insane at this year’s Corgi Beach Day 2015.

More than 500 corgis descended onto Orange County’s Huntington Beach this past Saturday. They donned bikinis and Go Pro cameras. InstaFamous Corgis had meet and greets where they gave out “pawtographs.” Listicles chronicling the day popped up all over the Internet. In Dog World, Corgi Beach Day was like the meeting launching Jay Z’s new streaming service, Tidal — the best of the best.

‘Rocky’ remake is a horror

We should definitely not do the “Time Warp” again.

Earlier this week, it was announced that for the 40th anniversary of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” Fox will remake the cult classic into a two-hour TV special.

As if the “Glee” rendition wasn’t painful enough.

The “Rocky” special will be directed and choreographed by Kenny Ortega. Name sound familiar? Ortega was also director and choreographer for “High School Musical.”

The only thing those two have in common is that neither is really great on the small screen.

“Rocky Horror” gets its life from independent movie theaters that show it at midnight. Watching it on the couch is nothing compared with dressing up as Dr. Frank-N-Furter and yelling snarky remarks along with a real-life audience.

But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe this is the start of something new…

Centipede is the new black

In the past week, trailers for “Human Centipede 3” and the third season of “Orange is the New Black” were released.

“Orange is the New Black” follows “Dandelion” Piper Kerman’s journey through the corrections system. She gets a little roughed up along the way by inmates and prison guards, but all in all, it shows that everyone has a story before they get behind bars.

In “Human Centipede 3,” a prison guard somehow gets the privilege to sew inmates end to end in the longest “centipede” in the movie franchise’s history.

Both are third installments. Both take place in prison. Both involve very little personal space. But both involve gobbling on another’s nether-regions — but in very different ways.