Home » Sports » Football » Opinion: Ohio State quarterback battle should be a two horse race

Opinion: Ohio State quarterback battle should be a two horse race

From left: Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones and J.T. Barrett are all set to compete for the OSU starting quarterback job in the fall according to head coach Urban Meyer. Credit: Mark Batke / Lantern photographer

From left: Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones and J.T. Barrett are all set to compete for the OSU starting quarterback job in the fall according to head coach Urban Meyer.
Credit: Mark Batke / Lantern photographer

Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones walk into Urban Meyer’s office.

While this embarrassingly awful attempt at a joke has no punchline, it will likely one day be a reality.

Meyer is going to have to sit down with the shifty redshirt-senior from Huber Heights, Ohio, the technician redshirt-sophomore from Wichita Falls, Texas, and the gunslinger from Cleveland, and tell two of them that despite their accomplishments, it wasn’t enough.

They will be on the bench.

Each quarterback can make a strong case as to why he deserves to be the starting signal caller as the Buckeyes prepare for their first title defense in more than a decade.

But only one can be the main man, and in my opinion, it’s a two-horse race.

I agree with what Meyer said about a week ago, that each quarterback deserves a fair chance, but there is no denying that Jones has the upper hand.

And Meyer said Barrett, the reigning Big Ten Quarterback of the Year, has almost as much momentum as his rehab from a fractured ankle is ahead of schedule.

It would have been nearly impossible to imagine that Miller, a two-time Big Ten Player of the Year, would become the dark horse in this competition, but that’s what has happened.

And it’s not because of lack of ability, but because of his demeanor off the field.

By simply observing a team practice or watching the Spring Game, the difference between Miller’s demeanor and Barrett’s is almost astounding.

While both players watch Jones take nearly all the first team reps, they stand with the coaches to get mental reps, but Miller never seems engaged.

For example, as I watched a re-run of the 2015 Spring Game yesterday, the cameras cut to Miller in between plays. Miller stood there, with a headset around the top of his head like a hat, looking from sideline to sideline as if trying to find his best friend to wave to — or perhaps looking for another program that will hand him a starting job.

Then, the camera panned to Barrett, who had the headset on properly and was watching the play as if studying for a final exam.

I don’t want this to come off as if I am bashing Miller. His athleticism is unrivaled when it comes to what OSU has seen in the past at the position.

But he is just that: an athlete.

It is likely that his shoulder will never be the same again, and that in itself puts him behind at least Jones, who showed off his cannon with a 74-yard bomb in the “QB Skills Competition” at halftime of the Spring Game.

And without Miller and former Buckeye running back Carlos Hyde, Barrett was still able to break Big Ten regular-season records set by not only Miller, but also by Purdue legend Drew Brees.

Combining the skills of all three quarterbacks into one would be ideal, but this isn’t a science-fiction movie. This is OSU football. And coming off a national title win, no program is under the national microscope more than the one that resides in Columbus.

And if the Buckeyes want to return to the college football promised land, they need to go with one of the two quarterbacks who helped get them there.

1. I absolutley agree with this. Even if you overlook Miller’s demeanor during the spring game, I think it is very obvious he is the weakest QUARTERBACK of the three. Miller is a gifted athlete and has a decent arm. However he has no pocket presence, does not go through his progressions, is a poor decision maker, etc. With that being said, I will admit some of this was due to the receivers inabiltiy to run routes or get open until this year when he had to sit out.

2. I foresee Cardale Jones as the quarterback, Braxton Miller as a running tailback (he is a good runner – save his shoulder), and JT Barrett as a slot back receiver. All three will be available for snaps from center in the backfield and Barrett can run in the backfield take a handoff from Jones and then pass or run. Miller would also have the option to pass or run after pitch out to him. Jones also will have option to pass or run. Thus a triple threat backfield. Of course Zeke Ellliot to continue his running back duties. Thus a four way threat. By spreading the wealth, statistics of all four individually will suffer for Heisman or other awards, but winning will win out. And, all three quarterbacks get to play at the same time. And, Elliot continues to run his running plays.

3. Just think if Braxton had the offensive weapons that JT and 12 gauge had… If Braxton is anywhere near where he was 2 years ago, he starts.

4. Cardale is EASILY the best qb. JT is more athletic, but he doesnt have 12 gauge’s arm. Braxton shouldnt even be in this competition..