Jefferson Turner (left) and Daniel Clarkson wrote and star in "Potted Potter," a parody play of the Harry Potter series coming to Columbus. Credit: Courtesy of Courtesy of Brian Friedman

Jefferson Turner (left) and Daniel Clarkson wrote and star in “Potted Potter,” a parody play of the Harry Potter series coming to Columbus.
Credit: Courtesy of Courtesy of Brian Friedman

For many students, J.K. Rowling’s story of Harry Potter, a boy-turned-wizard, is part of their own history.

“I don’t know if you’ve heard about it, but it’s really good,” said actor and writer Daniel Clarkson with a chuckle.

Some might recall late nights spent waiting in line for a movie premiere or the hours invested in reading more than 4,000 pages of Harry’s adventures. Sarah Medford, a fourth-year in zoology, said she most remembers the friendship and the battles in the stories. And for all the people like Medford who never received their Hogwarts letter, the opportunity to revel in nostalgia and experience the magic of Harry Potter in a new way is coming to Columbus.

“POTTED POTTER,” a stage comedy written and performed by Clarkson and Jefferson Turner, will take place at the Capitol Theatre’s Riffe Center on 77 S. High St., for six back-to-back days of magical comedy.

According to a press release by CAPA, “POTTED POTTER” will do its best to summarize the entirety of Rowling’s hit series in a 75-minute show using song, costumes, props and the help of the audience — who all participate in a Quidditch match as part of the show.

Turner will play the part of Harry Potter, while Clarkson will take on the challenge of playing all of the other 359 characters present in the series.

“He just has to wear glasses and whine a lot.” Clarkson said.

But you don’t need to love or even know what Harry Potter is to enjoy the show, Clarkson said. In fact, he said for those who have never read the books or seen the movies, “We’re saving you about two weeks of your life; it’s an important public service.”

Clarkson said they first performed a version of “POTTED POTTER” in the streets of London almost 10 years ago while people were waiting in line for Harry Potter. The show has since changed.

“Over 10 years it’s really evolved,” he said. “Even if you’ve seen it once, it will still be different the next time you see it.”

Clarkson said they like to keep things fresh, and that this performance features a joke about “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

Jefferson and Clarkson have both coauthored a few “potted” productions — comedy, summary plays — but Clarkson said “POTTED POTTER” is different.

“This was our first baby,” he said. “You’re always proud of your first child. I’m the oldest so I like to think my parents love me more.”

Despite carefully poking fun at Harry Potter, Clarkson said “POTTED POTTER” is about celebrating and enjoying the series.

“Just come and see it or write a 1,000-word essay on why you didn’t,” he said.

Performances take place from Tuesday through April 26. Tickets range in price from $20-$75 and are available on CAPA’s website.