Home » Campus » Area » Potential new band director visits campus

Potential new band director visits campus

Members of the OSU Marching Band perform at the College Football Playoff National Championship game on Jan. 12 in Arlington, Texas. Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

The Ohio State Marching Band seems one step closer to choosing a new director as finalists make campus visits.

Corey Spurlin, associate director of bands, marching band director and associate professor of music at Auburn University, is one finalist for the OSU director position. He met with members of the OSU spring athletic band, as well as the marching band, on Wednesday and Thursday, according to an email sent to band members from Scott Jones, associate director of university bands. That email was obtained by The Lantern on Wednesday.

The email said Spurlin’s visit included conducting the athletic band’s rehearsal Wednesday, followed by a question and answer period with athletic band members.

Band members’ feedback was set to be collected electronically afterward.

Spurlin was also scheduled to meet members of the 2014 OSU Marching Band during his visit.

The email said Spurlin’s visit is the “first of two campus visits for finalists.”

Another candidate is set to visit campus and participate in a similar itinerary of events next week, a current member of the marching band told The Lantern.

“The School of Music is considering a number of highly qualified candidates,” OSU spokesman Chris Davey said in an email Wednesday. “We look forward to when we will be able to make the exciting announcement of a new band director very soon.”

OSU originally said it expected the search process for a new director to wrap up by mid-February. Time constraints slowed the selection process last semester, Davey said in February.

The band’s previous director, Jonathan Waters, was fired after an OSU investigation found the band contained a sexualized culture.

Michael Huson contributed to this article.

1. Auburn? Cal? Where are the people that OSU means something to in their heart?

2. Setting the record straight

Re Jon Waters being fired, the defamatory Glaros Report was created by OSU to fire Jon, to slander and libel the Marching Band students, and as the basis of President Drake’s pact with the DOE/OCR to sacrifice Jon Waters for the purpose of excusing OSU from sexual violations on record, none of which were about the Marching Band. After spending $700,000 on the Montgomery Report, which did not identify a sexualized culture, and cited the Administration for lack of oversight, President Drake, who requested it, has not acknowledged it, nor apologized for the scandalous label he placed on some of the most dedicated, honorable students at OSU. Jon Waters should not have been fired, and OSU should not be excused for their ineptitude at handling sexual violations on campus.

3. This whole episode fills me with anger. What has my University come to, and who would take this job after the way Jon was treated. Certainly no quality candidate.

4. I will always stand for Jon Waters. But I will not stand again for “Carmen Ohio” till Mike Drake is gone. He doesn’t deserve a great institution like OSU because he doesn’t know how to handle it.

5. As an OSUMB alumnus, I’d love nothing more than to see the Fed judge HAMMER tOSU with a large financial award to Jon Waters. The only thing that would make that sweeter is if it came directly out of drake’s pocket instead of the Ohio taxpayers.

In the meantime, be careful what some of you are seeking re a new director. Your wish for a house-cleaning by bringing in someone from the outside will risk and could eventually overturn many of the on-field traditions that most claim to cherish. Everything will be up for grabs: instrumentation, style, etc. OSUMB could become mediocre just like the bands from which the finalists hail.

6. Guy who loves B1G marching bands

Pretty sure this is your guy!