Home » Campus » Area » Report: One of two marching band director finalists drops out of running

Report: One of two marching band director finalists drops out of running

campus_band

The Ohio State University Marching Band. Credit: Lantern file photo

One of the two finalists for the Ohio State Marching Band director position has dropped out of the running, according to The News-Gazette in Champaign-Urbana, Ill.

Barry Houser, director of the University of Illinois Marching Illini and Athletic Bands, has withdrawn his name from consideration, The News-Gazette reported Monday evening.

Houser told the paper that he withdrew his name earlier on Monday after Illinois administrators told him they’d be more supportive of him and the band program if he stayed.

Houser visited OSU’s campus April 6 and 7, when he met with current band members and officials.

The other finalist for the OSU position, Corey Spurlin, associate director of bands, marching band director and associate professor of music at Auburn University, was on campus two weeks ago for a similar visit.

The band’s former director, Jonathan Waters, was fired in July after an OSU investigation found the band contained a sexualized culture. A search committee comprised of current and former band members and OSU faculty has been searching for Waters’ replacement.

1. Lantern reporters should ask the Committee why the top two candidates already withdrew. They should also quiz Blatti and Steinmetz about their hidden agenda to install their hand picked candidate who will subordinate himself or herself to the Music School’s whims and jealousies against the overshadowing success of the marching band. Ask why their hubris is intent on undermining the brand, tradition and excellence that is TBDBITL.

2. Why has the Lantern again mentioned only the conclusions of Mr. Glaros delusional report and not any of the subsequent material that shredded his “investigation?” Why not mention that Ms. Montgomery’s task force concluded that the OSUMB has been understaffed and underfunded for decades?