Photo illustration by Sallee Ann Ruibal / Asst. Arts Editor Photos courtesy of TNS and theimpulsivebuy

Photo illustration by Sallee Ann Ruibal / Arts Editor
Photos courtesy of TNS and theimpulsivebuy

This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” in which The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Bud Light needs to chill

As part of their “Up For Whatever” campaign, Bud Light put different slogans on some of their new bottles. Slogans included “The perfect beer for leaving your comfort zone in another timezone” and “The perfect beer for tuning up the old air guitar.”

But the one that got the Internet’s panties in a knot was: “The perfect beer for removing ‘no’ from your vocabulary for the night.”

The good, wholesome people over at Anheuser-Busch meant that Bud Light is great for stopping you from saying “no” to karaoke or thinking you can dance. But instead it was, not unrightfully so, taken as a way to encourage rape culture and discourage proper consent.

Bud Light made a fumble. Bud Light tried too hard to be cool with its bros, and maybe that’s its problem altogether.

While Budweiser makes Super Bowl commercials featuring their iconic Clydesdales, proudly proclaiming they are a “macro beer” that will never make pumpkin peach ale, what is Bud Light up to? They’re churning out Lime-A-Ritas, Straw-Ber-Ritas, Cran-Brr-Ritas — all part of their flavored beer margarita line. Yes, it’s still mass produced. But doesn’t it seem a little frilly, Anheuser? Do you maybe think you’re trying a little hard to be trendy, Busch?

It’s okay, you can say no.

It’s a princess!

I love babies that aren’t my baby. I especially love cute babies that I can admire from afar, behind a computer screen.

That sounds a little creepy.

The point is, I am one of those people on your timeline that was very excited to hear about the new royal baby. Yes, I will likely never meet this baby. Yes, this baby has no pull in Parliament. Yes, it’s purely entertainment, much like the birth of North West — but I don’t see a problem with that.

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana does have big shoes to fill though. Prince George is the chubbiest, smuggest child and I love him for it.

I love that the Queen wore all pink and I love the idea of her corgi troop being donned in pink bows and greeting Charlotte with slobbery kisses.

I also love the idea of a tabloid headline reading, “When Prince Harry Met Sallee!” but that’s another column for another day.