Then-OSU freshman guard D'Angelo Russell drives to the basket during a game against Michigan State  in the Big Ten Tournament on Mar. 13 at the United Center. OSU lost 76-67. Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-OSU freshman guard D’Angelo Russell drives to the basket during a game against Michigan State in the Big Ten Tournament on Mar. 13 at the United Center. OSU lost 76-67. Credit: Lantern file photo

D’Angelo Russell is headed to Hollywood.

The former Ohio State guard has been selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the second pick in the first round of the 2015 NBA draft.

He becomes the 23rd first round pick in the history of OSU’s basketball program and the highest player taken since Evan Turner was selected by the Philadelphia 76ers at No. 2 overall in 2010.

Russell became the first player to leave OSU for the NBA draft after his freshman year since Byron Mullens in 2009.

Although he only spent one season wearing the scarlet and gray, it was a historic one.

He averaged 19.3 points per game, which led not only OSU but also all freshman scorers in the country. Russell complemented his premier scoring ability with 5.0 assists per game and a team-leading 5.7 rebounds per contest.

The Louisville, Ky., native was named a first-team All-American and Freshman Player of the Year in the Big Ten. He also captured the inaugural Jerry West Award, which is given out to the nation’s best shooting guard.

Russell heads to a Lakers team that won just 21 games last season. He will join a Lakers’ backcourt that features future NBA Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant, Jeremy Lin and Jordan Clarkson.

Russell will not have to wait long to get his first taste of NBA action, as the Lakers are slated to begin Summer League play on July 10th against the Minnesota Timberwolves in Las Vegas, Nev.