Sophomore defensive lineman Joey Bosa (97) celebrates following a play during a game against Virginia Tech on Sept. 6 at Ohio Stadium. OSU lost, 35-21.  Credit: Mark Batke / Photo editor

Then-sophomore defensive lineman Joey Bosa (97) celebrates following a play during a game against Virginia Tech on Sept. 6 at Ohio Stadium. OSU lost, 35-21.
Credit: Lantern file photo

Four Ohio State football players will not take the field against Virginia Tech during the 2015 season opener in Blacksburg, Va.

Junior defensive end Joey Bosa, sophomore H-back Jalin Marshall, senior receiver Corey Smith and junior H-back Dontre Wilson will miss the game after violating OSU Department of Athletics policy, according to an emailed statement from the OSU Department of Athletics.

Last year, Bosa received several awards and acknowledgments for his work on the team. In addition to being named a first team Associated Press All-American, Bosa was a finalist for the Chuck Bednarik — given to the nation’s most outstanding defensive player — and the Rotary Lombardi Award for the top lineman or linebacker in the country.

Bosa was also named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year and was named first team All-Big Ten by both the coaches and the media in a unanimous vote.

Marshall and Wilson were also recently included on various preseason award watch lists. They were each named to the Hornung Award watch list, given to the most versatile player in the country.

OSU is set to open its season against Virginia Tech at Lane Stadium on Sept. 7, looking for revenge while short-handed against a Hokies team that beat OSU at home 35-21 during the Buckeyes’ home opener on Sept. 6. It was the first time since 1978 that OSU had lost its first home game.