Then-redshirt sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones (12) celebrates with redshirt-junior tight end Nick Vannett (81) during the College Football Playoff Championship against Oregon on Jan. 12 in Arlington, Texas. OSU won, 42-20.  Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-redshirt sophomore quarterback Cardale Jones (12) celebrates with redshirt-junior tight end Nick Vannett (81) during the College Football Playoff Championship against Oregon on Jan. 12 in Arlington, Texas. OSU won, 42-20.
Credit: Lantern file photo

The Ohio State football team might not be scheduled to kick off its 2015 season until Sept. 7, but an early dose of the national champions will be brought to living rooms a month before.

Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman announced during the Big Ten Media Days in Chicago on Friday that BTN will be producing a short series titled “Scarlet and Gray Days: Inside Ohio State Training Camp.”

Silverman said the series will last three or four episodes and will premiere on August 19, with a new episode each Wednesday heading into OSU’s first game Virginia Tech.

“We are excited to work with the university,” Silverman said. “I think it will be an unprecedented look at what goes on as the team prepares for its first game. And we’ll see how it works and hopefully we’ll be able to do this for many schools in the years ahead.”

Silverman said he is not sure of the exact format of the series because it hasn’t been done before, but he compared it to HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” a show that follows a new NFL team’s training camp before each season. However, Silverman said he doesn’t expect the access to closed-door meetings that “Hard Knocks” is known for.

Silverman said the parameters of the show were drawn out when the show was negotiated with OSU coach Urban Meyer and other team affiliates to avoid intruding on OSU’s preparation.

“There’s sort of a guideline and an outline as to where we’re going to be and where we’re not going to be,” Silverman said. “I think we’ve agreed to kind of let’s see how this will work out. But it’s not being overly specific but it’s more general guidelines we’re going to follow.”

A press release from BTN highlighted some of the storylines of the show such as Meyer selecting a starting quarterback between redshirt junior Cardale Jones and redshirt sophomore J.T. Barrett, along with redshirt senior Braxton Miller’s return to the team and position change to wide receiver.

A similar show, ESPN’s “Training Days,” followed the Buckeyes for five episodes prior to the 2012 season.

BTN also announced Friday that it will air OSU’s home opener, a game against Hawaii set for 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 12.