This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” in which The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Don’t ask

On Monday, “Fifty Shades of Grey” author E.L. James made the second-worst decision of her career by doing a Twitter Q&A to promote her newest rag, “Grey.”

Instead of questions inquiring about her writing process or the future of the sexy series, James got burned. Badly and repeatedly.

Many questions were pointed at the abusive nature of the series’ main character, Christian Grey, and how James could sleep at night knowing she possibly hurt women more than helped.

I wonder what that was like for James — to sit down at your computer, possibly with chamomile in hand, expecting love to start flowing. But it’s just one sucker punch after another. When do you decide to turn the computer off and exchange the tea for tequila? Is there a safe word you can use?

Regardless, I hope the computer stays off.

Scout’s honor

This week the Girl Scouts of Western Washington started an IndieGoGo campaign to make back a $100,000 donation they returned because the donor said they didn’t want it to support transgender girls. The Girl Scouts insisted, “Girl Scouts is for every girl.”

In one day, the campaign exceeded their goal. In two, they more than tripled it. Rewards for donating included boxes of cookies and a “glamping” (glam camping) experience. But the real reward, I’m sure, is not letting ignorance win. That’s sweeter than Samoas.

White House 2.0

On Wednesday, it was announced that the 40-year-old ban on cameras during tours of the White House was lifted.

Michelle Obama shared the news with a video on social media of her tearing a sign that read, “No photos or social media allowed. Your cooperation is appreciated.” Cooperation no longer necessary. Everything on the White House grounds can now be subjected to a “Nashville” Instagram filter.

Which is great, because what’s the point of going somewhere — especially the most prestigious address in America — if you can’t garner “likes” from it?