Pitcher Zach Farmer throws a pitch against Toledo on April 2, 2014. Farmer passed away on Tuesday from a second bout of leukemia. Credit: Lantern file photo

Pitcher Zach Farmer throws a pitch against Toledo on April 2, 2014. Farmer passed away on Tuesday from a second bout of leukemia.
Credit: Lantern file photo

The Ohio State baseball team and OSU community received some tragic news on Tuesday morning when it was learned that pitcher Zach Farmer has passed away, according to a report from The Chillicothe Gazette.

Farmer was initially diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in late April 2014 of his freshman year after feeling dizzy while throwing. His recovery became a major factor for the team, with showings of support including his teammates volunteering to find if they were bone marrow matches and the team wearing orange wristbands in support.

Farmer announced he was cancer-free in September 2014, less than six months after the diagnosis. He then turned his attention to building up his strength and returning to the team and university for the 2016 season, which would have been his redshirt sophomore year.

Unfortunately, on July 15 Famer announced his cancer had returned, and this time he was not expected to make a recovery. Just a few days after the diagnosis, he and his girlfriend Kelsie held an impromptu wedding.

Farmer was also able to speak to one of his heroes, Randy Johnson, who subsequently offered words of encouragement to Farmer during his Baseball Hall of Fame induction speech on July 26.

Farmer was a three-time All-Ohio selection at Piketon High School in Piketon, Ohio, and was considered to be a professional prospect by many. He had just turned 21 years old on July 27.