Alpha Kappa Psi Mu chapter celebrating their 100th anniversary on April 11. Photo: Courtesy of Caroline Felice

The Ohio State chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi is celebrating its 100th year of fostering professional development in business and commitment to service work in the community, tied by the bonds of brotherhood.

AKPsi, a professional co-ed business fraternity, will welcome Leigh Steinberg to campus on Sept. 18. The open event will take place at the Ohio Union.

Steinberg has negotiated contracts for more than 300 professional athletes, including Troy Aikman and Steve Young.

Steinberg, often referred to as a “super agent,” is also considered to be the inspiration behind the titular character played by Tom Cruise in the Cameron Crowe movie “Jerry Maguire.” He released his autobiography “The Agent: My 40-Year Career Making Deals and Changing the Game” in August.

Bryan Fisher, AKPsi brother and a third-year in finance and sports industry, said he coordinated the visit with the hope that Steinberg’s drive would be inspirational to other students.

He said the visit will give guests an opportunity to hear Steinberg’s story and some of the lessons he has learned over the years.

“He was a shark in the sports industry — he’s the biggest there was,” Fisher said. “He’s learned so much through the years, he’s got so many incredible stories … and I think it would be awesome if all of Ohio State could listen to it.”

Patrick Gill, AKPsi vice president of membership and a third-year in political science and finance, said although chapter members take different academic paths and fraternity alumni go on to work in a myriad of fields, member interest in sports industry is gaining.

“With our brothers, it’s never a one-track career path,” he said. “We have brothers who kind of take things into their own hands, and it’s cool because as they forge those paths and those connections, other brothers who follow along will get inspired by what they see some of the alums and older members doing.”

The chapter has 105 members and aims to further the development of business leaders at OSU.

And although the chapter is connected with the Fisher College of Business, it’s open to people of all majors.

The chapter is planning to bring in a pledge class of 20 to 25 students this semester and another class of similar size during spring semester.

The chapter also focuses on networking not only among current members, but with AKPsi alumni who are invited to chapter events throughout the year to socialize and offer career advice.

Gill first pledged as a political science major but soon added finance after his exposure to the varying majors of other members. He said the professional development that results from the convergence of different majors and business-related majors offers benefits to its members.

“It’s for any students interested in business, so we try to bring in diverse perspectives,” he said.