Throughout my college experience, I have realized there is one subject every student learns, regardless of his or her major: stress. It can be helpful — stress is a natural way our brain communicates with the body to restore balance. Other times, stress can be so overwhelming it gets classified with a clinical name. Mental health issues in college students are on the rise, with anxiety and depression being the most common.

With technological advancements, we are the most connected, fast-paced and busy generation yet. Society is more disconnected from individual interaction than ever before. Financial stressors are among the biggest worries college students share. The combination of business, lack of person-to-person interaction and financial worry is a perfect storm for misdiagnosed cases of anxiety and depression. It is easy to “brush off” these problems as everyday stressors, but it is vital to know the difference between everyday stress and mental health issues.

Any student who has made his or her way through a full semester has experienced what an exam week feels like. This is a period of worry, restlessness, dietary changes and varied sleep patterns. Physical symptoms include muscle tension, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, irritability, chest pain and headaches. Students need to realize that these negative things are normal, but should be temporary. If these things are part of a Buckeye’s daily routine, he or she should seek help. Help can be found through Ohio State’s very own Psychological Services Center.

College makes a person grow in many facets of life. With growth, there are growing pains. However, these growing pains shouldn’t limit the way a person lives.

Benjamin Lyon

Fifth-year in health sciences