Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the Editor: Young voters must demand clean energy

Letter to the Editor: Young voters must demand clean energy

A few days ago, many of us cheered on Hillary Clinton during her event here in Columbus, and it has been exciting to see so many young people getting engaged in the political process so early, whether for Clinton or Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

We know that our generation will play a big part in electing the next president – that our voice will have power like no other time in history. We must make it count.

Young Americans strongly back proposals that will accelerate the transition to a clean energy economy, grow our economy and create jobs in Ohio. A recent poll by NextGen Climate found that 68 percent of young voters believe that achieving more than 50 percent clean energy by 2030 would have a positive effect on achieving those goals.

For supporters of Clinton, there was more good news – 63 percent of young voters say they’d be more likely to vote for Clinton if she supports this ambitious clean energy goal, according to the NextGen Climate poll.

We must leverage our support during this early stage of the process to make sure candidates know where we stand on clean energy. As young people it’s how we can make a major impact on the election and the country.

Michael Lakomy

Third-year in accounting

President, College Democrats

1. Bernie Sanders Echoes Pope Francis on Clean Energy, Climate Change!

“Pope Francis is not just asking us to alleviate poverty and move toward more a equitable distribution of wealth and income. Nor is he simply requesting that we act boldly to combat climate change and save the planet. He is asking us to create a new form of society where the economy works for all, and not just the wealthy and the powerful. He is asking us to become a different kind of person, where our happiness and well-being comes from serving others and being part of the human community – not by spending our lives accumulating more and more wealth and power while oppressing others.”

“He has a very, very progressive agenda,” Sanders said. “He is looking in the eyes of the wealthiest people in this country … and he is saying, ‘You know what? You cannot continue to ignore the needs of the poor, you cannot continue to ignore the needs of the sick.’ And he is also saying trickle-down economic theory … really doesn’t work. That government itself is obliged to protect those who are vulnerable, and that is a message, I have to be honest, that my Republican colleagues do not want to hear,” Sanders said.

Watch Bernie Sanders Talk About Pope Francis on YouTube

2. There is no such thing as clean energy…

3. We need a wide open, market based, use everything energy policy that is not perturbed by government. Private industry will develop the most efficient and cost effective energy sources, not government.

4. There is a simply way some students can directly help with the transition to green energy. If you receive an energy bill, you can switch your energy provider to Viridian. Go to their website with a copy of your latest bill and sign up today to receive +50 % renewable electricity at your residence, even if you rent. It will help to stop climate change, help the economy and create jobs. It is time to stop lecturing and start participating.