Redshirt-junior Michael Bernard roles a putt towards the hole during one of OSU's matches in 2014. Courtesy of OSU athletics

Redshirt-junior Michael Bernard roles a putt towards the hole during one of OSU’s matches in 2014. Courtesy of OSU athletics

Limitless.

That’s the word that’s loosely thrown around Ohio State’s Jane and Walt Dennis Golf Performance Center.

Roughly two months after being named the men’s golf coach, Jay Moseley is excited about the heights to which he can potentially take the program — something he’s well equipped to do.

Over the past six years at Kennesaw State University, Moseley led the Owls to five consecutive NCAA regional appearances, including two trips to the NCAA championship.

Impressively, he achieved this at a smaller school that has only been a Division I program since 2005, and whose resources compared to those at OSU are less abundant.

“Being able to recruit at a university that’s first-class, and recruiting to a golf program and an athletic department that’s just amazing; it’s just a great opportunity. I think we can go after any player in the country,” Moseley said. “I wasn’t able to do that at Kennesaw State.”

OSU can certainly go after any player they want, including freshman Will Grimmer, who competed in the 2014 U.S. Open at the age of 17.

“Will Grimmer has come in with one of the best resumes of anybody in the country, and he, certainly, will be a big contributor for us this year,” Moseley said. “I’m excited about the team we have.”

Where there is talent, there are expectations; and for the Buckeyes they are hefty.

Moseley is taking over for former coach Donnie Darr, who resigned June 9, citing unhappiness. During his six-season tenure, Darr guided the Buckeyes to six tournament titles and four NCAA regional qualifications.

The Buckeyes qualified for the 2011 NCAA Championship under Darr, as well.

“It kind of came out of nowhere for me,” senior Tee-k Kelly said about Darr’s resignation. “He recruited me here. He coached me my first three years and I was a little surprised by that.”

Although Kelly and his teammates are adjusting to a new coach, they said they feel optimistic about the program and where it is going under Moseley’s leadership.

“Honestly, his potential is limitless with this program,” Kelly said. “You saw the things he did at Kennesaw State; it’s really impressive what he did there. He can really take this program to the special places it was, like back in the day.”

The first opportunity for the Buckeyes to go to those special places is set for Friday at the Carmel Cup in Pebble Beach, California.