Home » Sports » Soccer » Ohio State men’s soccer team’s losing streak at 3 with 2 road losses

Ohio State men’s soccer team’s losing streak at 3 with 2 road losses

Then-sophomore defender Austin Bergstrom (25) kicks the ball during a game against Michigan in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Nov. 9 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 1-0. Credit: Lantern File Photo

Then-sophomore defender Austin Bergstrom (25) kicks the ball during a game against Michigan in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on Nov. 9 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 1-0.
Credit: Lantern File Photo

The beginning of Ohio State men’s soccer team’s first road trip this season turned sour after a pair of losses to No. 17 University of Maryland, Baltimore County (3-0-1) and Navy (2-1-1) over the weekend.

After Friday’s loss to the ranked UMBC in Baltimore, the Buckeyes stayed in the state of Maryland but were blown out by a score of 3-0 against Navy on Sunday in Annapolis.

OSU had a good chance to score in the 29th minute, but OSU sophomore forward Marcus McCrary’s shot was deflected off the side of the net from six yards out.

Navy sophomore forward Aubrey Jones scored a 10-yard goal in the 36th minute of the game to give the Midshipmen their first point on the board.

The Buckeyes had another chance to score in the 60th minute when McCrary passed the ball to OSU junior forward Danny Jensen, who then launched the ball toward the net. However, Navy senior goalkeeper Jackson Morgan denied Jensen’s shot to maintain the one-goal advantage.

OSU continued to battle against the home squad in the 19th minute of regulation, but the Midshipmen managed to put two more points on the board giving the team a final score of 3-0.

Overall, Navy held a 5-3 advantage in the corners over the Buckeyes.

Despite a better performance two nights before at UMBC, the Buckeyes still opened the weekend the same way they closed it: scoreless.

The Buckeyes held a 9-0 advantage in the corners and a 5-2 lead in shots in the first half of the game, but were unable to get anything into the net.

OSU senior midfielder Kyle Culbertson attempted a shot from the corner in the seventh minute, but his attempt was blocked, taking away the opportunity for a Buckeye point. OSU senior midfielder and co-captain Zach Mason went for the first shot on goal for OSU from the corner in the 10th minute, but it was saved by UMBC sophomore goalkeeper Billy Heavner.

The Buckeyes had two back-to-back corner kicks finishing the first half, but they could not execute, leaving the game scoreless at the break.

Midway through the second half, UMBC senior forward Darius Madison scored a goal from 14 yards out in the 59th minute of the game, giving the Retrievers a 1-0 lead over the Buckeyes.

OSU continued to fight back for a chance to tie the game, but continued to be unable to score.

McCrary came close to scoring a goal in the 68th minute when he launched the ball 12 yards into the goal. However, Heavner saved McCrary’s kick.

With one final attempt, OSU senior defender and co-captain Liam Doyle was given the opportunity of a free kick in the 89th minute, but couldn’t make a connection between the ball and the net, giving the team a 1-0 loss against UMBC.

OSU senior goalkeeper Chris Froschauer now falls 1-3 on the year, stopping just five of nine shots on goal over the weekend.

The Buckeyes are next scheduled to open Big Ten play on the road against Northwestern on Friday in Bridgeview, Illinois, at 8 p.m.