Home » Campus » Area » Bill Clinton coming to campus, waives speaking fee

Bill Clinton coming to campus, waives speaking fee

Former president Bill Clinton speaks on stage about the future of equality and opportunity at the Clinton Global Initiative at the Sheraton Hotel in New York City on Sept. 29. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Former President Bill Clinton has waived the speaking fees for his Ohio State visit this November, said Hank Wilson, director of communications for the John Glenn College of Public Affairs.

In 2007, Clinton was OSU’s spring commencement speaker, and he has now been invited by the John Glenn College of Public Affairs to speak at OSU again in the Mershon Auditorium at 3 p.m. on Nov. 19.

Clinton has previously charged between $100,001 and $200,000 for speaking engagements at Temple Law School and University of California Los Angeles, according to the Clinton Foundation website.

“Back in January, when the Glenn School became the Glenn College, we wanted to have a celebration in the spring and have a major speaker talk about public service and its role in society,” Wilson said in an email. “The Glenn College asked potential speakers to waive their fee when we were looking for a speaker for the event.”

Wilson said that Clinton was one of the people they asked to be the speaker, but he was unable to come to that particular event and instead offered to come speak later in the year.

“This is a major opportunity for students to get to see a former president,” said Mircea Lazar, the communications director for the OSU College Democrats and a third-year in international relations and economics. “I am excited to hear what he has to say about the major issues of the day and we want to encourage as many people as possible to attend.”

Lazar said he doesn’t think that Clinton’s visit has anything to do with campaign politics, even though his wife, Hillary Clinton, is seeking the Democratic nomination for the presidency in 2016.

“He just so happens to be the spouse of the current Democratic frontrunner,” Lazar said.

Levi Cramer, the communications director for the OSU College Republicans and a third-year in political science, said he doesn’t think Clinton dropping his speaking fee during his wife’s campaign is coincidental.

“It’s very interesting that so close to the election, the husband of one of the leading candidates is willing to come out and waive his speaking fee of hundreds of thousands of dollars,” Cramer said.

Since Clinton has waived his speaking fee, Wilson said that ticket sales money will go toward the Glenn College scholarship fund after event expenses like venue rental and audio and visual productions are paid.

OSU students can purchase tickets for the event at a discounted price of $10 through the Wexner Center for the Arts.

1. Watch out, co-eds, Slick Willy will be on the loose. The only reason he’s speaking for free is for the benefit of his wife’s presidential run. No president has ever won without winning Ohio. Ever.

• Robert W. Bentley

The old dpuble standard once again applies here. Didn’t the University charge John Kasich to speak at an on campus event? “just happens to be the spouse of a candidate” doesn;t fool anybody! Clinton’s fees
      are just added income and fuel for Hillary’s campaign. this is just favoritism for the Democrats and not ethical, if even legal. Let the school allow any Republican candidate to have an equal forum? Not by a long shot with the one sided, ideological domination of this (and most) American college faculties and administrations. Just another example of so-called liberals intolerance of dissenting opinions and ideologies!

• Kevin you are incorrect. No republican president has ever won without winning Ohio. But Democrats have done it before. JFK 1960 is at least one president that did not win Ohio.

2. Poor judgment by Ohio State again. With Bill and Hillary both running for the Whitehouse how could this action not be viewed as an obvious assist their campaign

3. Another blunder by Ohio State. With both Hillary and Bill running for the Whitehouse how could this not be an obvious attempt to aid there campaign. Waive the fee…what a joke, he’ll glean more money out of the attendees blinded to reality the Clinton’s disregard of truth..