The first step to a successful visit to the 2015 Graduate and Professional School Expo is to be prepared.

By planning ahead and coming equipped with the right questions, attendees can better use their time and make the most of the opportunity to connect with admissions representatives from more than 100 participating institutions.

Student Life Career Counseling and Support Services suggests knowing who you want to meet at the expo, staying focused on making a good first impression, establishing a reliable means to keep in touch with representatives and visiting the two panel discussions with graduate students and faculty in the Grand Hall Meeting Room, held during the expo between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The Student Life Career Counseling and Support Services suggests visitors consider and ask questions from the following checklist while attending the expo.

Checklist:

• Does the program focus on theory and research, or does it emphasize application of knowledge and skills?
  • Can you give me an example of the courses that this program offers?
  • Is the program accredited?
  • Is the program well-established or relatively new?
  • What is the faculty-to-student ratio? Do they hold degrees from leading institutions?
  • What type of special recognition have they earned (i.e., awards, grants, etc.)?
  • What have they published? Do the top scholars teach or are they primarily involved in research?
  • Is there diversity in both cultural backgrounds and research interests?
  • What are the tuition and fees? What types of financial aid are available? Are assistantships or fellowships available?
  • What are the state requirements for becoming a resident (i.e. how soon can you become a resident to reduce your tuition)?
  • What is the quality of the library, recreation center and other areas designed for studying or student interaction?
  • What type of employment assistance is provided by the program or the university as a whole?
  • With which companies or organizations do graduates tend to find employment?
  • What are employment opportunities in the area?
  • Would I like to live and study here?