Home » Sports » Football » J.T. Barrett cited for driving while intoxicated, suspended

J.T. Barrett cited for driving while intoxicated, suspended

OSU redshirt sophomore quarterback J.T. Barrett (16) prepares to throw the ball during a game against Northern Illinois on Sept. 19 at Ohio Stadium. OSU won 20-13. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead / Photo Editor

Ohio State redshirt sophomore quarterback J.T. Barrett was arrested by Columbus police early Saturday morning near campus for operating a motor vehicle while impaired.

The 20-year-old was cited with a misdemeanor OVI and released Saturday morning. Shortly after, OSU coach Urban Meyer announced Barrett would be banned from OSU’s next game, a Nov. 7 meeting at home against Minnesota.

The arrest came a week after Barrett made his first start of the season in a 49-7 win at Rutgers. Against Minnesota, the keys to the offense will be handed back to redshirt sophomore Cardale Jones.

According to multiple reports, Barrett’s suspension is for one game — not the mandatory two outlined in OSU’s student-athlete drug and alcohol policy when the student is underage — because the citation was for a misdemeanor.

OSU athletic director Gene Smith told various outlets that the one-game suspension was fully at Meyer’s discretion.

Kickoff is scheduled for the Buckeyes’ meeting against Minnesota for 8 p.m. at Ohio Stadium.

1. But Cardale wonders why everyone kept saying he needs to keep the exact same mindset he had last year “If a QB goes down for ANY reason he needs to be prepared to BRING THAT TROPHY HOME AGAIN AS THE BACK UP!” Oh Cardale has a NFL future…..JT you need to issue an apology like a leader would do!!! Glad Cardale was there to get him out of jail.

2. Woody Hayes kicked a player off the team for misbehavior. The former player said it was the best thing that ever happened to him, forced him to evaluate where his life was going. Urban should do the same to JT. I’m a Buckeye fan, but would prefer morality over championship trophies. If you love Ohio State, or if you care about the young man’s future, you’ll support kicking him off the team as well.

3. The headline is wrong — that is a correction. Barrett did not get a DUI this AM, he got an OVI. They are 2 different offenses.

4. Urban Meyer had just gotten back in town after returning from visiting his former player at Florida and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez in the Massachusetts state pen. Oh snap.