Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the Editor: Democrats say no on Issue 3

Letter to the Editor: Democrats say no on Issue 3

Medical marijuana plants for sale at The Farmacy, a popular California medical marijuana dispensary. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

College Democrats at Ohio State urges its members and the entire Buckeye community to vote no on Issue 3 this November. Clearly it is past time to legalize marijuana in Ohio, but Issue 3 is not the way to do it. Issue 3 enshrines in our Ohio Constitution a cartel made up of the wealthy and well-connected that could only be broken up by another constitutional amendment, a hugely expensive and difficult proposition.

More importantly, Issue 3 inexplicably leaves out so-called “Fresh Start” language that would expunge marijuana convictions and allow those currently serving sentences to seek release. In other words, Issue 3 makes it legal for a select elite to have monopoly control of the market, charging us more for marijuana than in states like Colorado or Oregon, while doing nothing for the tens of thousands of Ohioans affected by marijuana-related fines and convictions.

It’s time to legalize marijuana in Ohio. For medical relief, for much-needed tax revenue, for the safety of its users, for the enjoyment of recreational users, but most of all it’s time to legalize to end the wrongs of decades of discriminatory and draconian laws. Issue 3 does not do so, and so reveals itself as a self-serving grab at Ohio pocketbooks.

Legalize it right. Vote no on 3.

Michael Lakomy

President, College Democrats at The Ohio State University

Third-year in accounting

1. Issue 3 writes their investor’s 10 pre-owned parcels of land into the constitution as Ohio’s ONLY land that can farm marijuana.

If Ohio is to legalize it, EVERY Ohioan should have the right to use their own land to farm a cash-crop in a newly legalized BILLION dollar industry.

Support Ohio Farmers, Support All Ohioans

VOTE NO ON 3

• Not exactly true… At the start there are limited parcels, then the government determines who can grow, post initial roll-out.
      Why would they do that?
      To ensure that the strict regulations are being upheld. You would want to smoke pot grown with “x” fertilizer or “y” pesticide? YOu would not want “t”, “r”, “s”, and “b” to be a chemical in your pot?

Goes to show how democrats are vote farmers…

2. This is bullshit. There are Ohioans being thrown in prison as we speak because of a plant. Yes, it’s not an ideal approach to legalization, but poor legalization is better than no legalization. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

3. As a democrat on this campus, I truly believe OSU College dems is a huge waste of time, and not exactly progressive or productive…but Michael Lakomy is right on this one.