OSU senior forward Peanut Johnson (3) scored a hat trick during the Buckeyes' 6-3 win over California on Oct. 25. Credit: Robert Scarpinito / Copy Chief

OSU senior forward Peanut Johnson (3) scored a hat trick during the Buckeyes’ 6-3 win over California on Oct. 25. Credit: Robert Scarpinito / Copy Chief

The Kent State Golden Flashes used an early lead to their advantage after scoring twice in the first half and, for the first time in the last five years, defeated the Ohio State field hockey team, 3-1, Tuesday afternoon at Murphy-Mellis Field.

Kent State (8-8), which is now 5-0 at home this year, took no time getting on the board. Eilidh Thomson converted on a shot from the left wing into the opposite corner of the cage with an assist from Alison Hermatz just six and a half minutes into the contest.

Despite the Buckeyes’ (9-8) defensive attempts, the Golden Flashes kept their lead and momentum through the first half. Sophomore goalie Liz Tamburro had originally saved a shot from Jessica Nesbitt, but the play continued when Shannon Talbot ended up scored off a rebound into the back of the cage, bringing her total goal count on the season to four.

OSU was still scoreless going into the second half as Kent State increased its lead to 3-0 after Krysti Lober scored unassisted.

The Buckeyes cut the score to 3-1 when sophomore Morgan Kile pulled through with a shot nearly 68 minutes in. The midfielder now has five points on two goals and one assist.

Even though OSU scored only once, it reached its third-highest total number of shots for the season with 19 — eight of which were from sophomore forward Maddy Humphrey and five from senior co-captain Emma Royce.

Tamburro continued to play well in the cage, as her four saves gave her a season total of 116 with one game remaining. With 234 saves total, she stands in eighth place in OSU history.

Michigan, which is tied for third place in the Big Ten with Northwestern and Indiana, is scheduled to host the Buckeyes on Saturday for the team’s final regular-season contest. The game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at Phyllis Ocker Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan.