Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the Editor: USG to discuss Mirror Lake jump

Letter to the Editor: USG to discuss Mirror Lake jump

As a member of the General Assembly of the Undergraduate Student Government, I want to announce to the student body some important legislation that we will be considering this Wednesday. The resolution is called 48-R-21: A Resolution to Advocate for Student Safety by Ending the Mirror Lake Jump, written and submitted by yours truly.

You can read the text of the resolution on the General Assembly tab of the USG website. I submitted this legislation in response to the death at the jump last week and in response to the university’s decision to ban the jump in the future. USG has already come out in support of the event cancellation, but that was a unilateral decision of the president and vice president. The GA can choose to support or reject this decision, which we will do this Wednesday.

As prescribed by the General Assembly Standing Rules, every session of the General Assembly begins with an “Open Forum for the Public.” Any individual may come and address the chamber for up to two minutes on any subject. I highly encourage any members of the university community to come this Wednesday and share his or her thoughts on the Mirror Lake jump. GA is held at 6:30 p.m. in the Senate Chambers on the second floor of the Ohio Union.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at warnimont.6@osu.edu. You can also always get in touch with USG Vice President and Chair of the General Assembly Abby Waidelich at waidelich.11@osu.edu.

It is important for this discussion to take place; I look forward to seeing the response!

Joseph Warnimont

Second-year in aerospace engineering

Engineering senator, Undergraduate Student Government

1. Do students want it ended? Does USG even pretend to represent student interests?
    Should we be making decisions while emotions run high?

And let’s think about this rationally. Will ending the ‘official’ jump stop students from jumping in Mirror Lake? You know the answer is no. But when they do jump in, there will not be medical staff nearby and jumps will be more dangerous than the sanctioned one.

Shame on busybodies like you, Mr Warnimont.

• We will find out tomorrow if students want the jump ended. As evidenced by the fact that I wrote this resolution, I think it should be ended; one lost Buckeye is more than enough. If you disagree, that’s your prerogative, but don’t pretend that your opinion is the only one that exists.

If you believe that it’s too soon to be making decisions on the jump, make your voice heard. If you want students to continue the jump next year, speak up. Contact your senators at this link: http://usg.osu.edu/generalassembly/meet_the_general_assembly. Come to General Assembly this Wednesday. Organize a protest if you want. And reach out to me personally at warnimont.6@osu.edu.

Thanks for your input.

• We will find out tomorrow if students want the jump ended. As evidenced by the fact that I wrote this resolution, I support the end of it; one dead Buckeye is enough. It is your prerogative to disagree, but don’t pretend it’s the only opinion.

If you think it’s too soon to be considering this, make your voice heard. If you disagree with the resolution, speak up. Contact your senators at this link: http://usg.osu.edu/generalassembly/meet_the_general_assembly. Reach out to me at warnimont.6@osu.edu. Come to GA tomorrow.

Thank you for your input.

2. Cue the Millennials

I can hear it now:
    -Its completely unreasonable for the University to stop an extremely expensive, poor excuse for a drunken and dangerous unruly mob of undergrads because of some lame supposed “tradition”
    -HOWEVER please make sure that we never fall prey to any crime whatsoever in the urban University District that we live in, but take no care to maintain or personal responsibility for our own actions, or else we will pitch a fit about how nothing is safe, ever..
    -Also, make everything cost less, but give us more, and make it easier for us to do whatever we want whenever we please.

3. NO ONE GIVES A DARN WHAT USG SAYS/DOES/FEELS/THINKS/ETC. *Execept for those in USG*. They BARELY represent the interest of students and just parrot the administration.

Abby and Abby wrote that letter that was just the same as Drake’s statement, and then Gerard Basalla, the only guy running for president this year supported the letter so it’ll just be ONE MORE YEAR of the same USG nonsense next year…VOTE CARDALE 2K16.

Myself, and the thousands of other students who REALLY DO NOT CARE what “Student Government Hut Jr.’s” thinks about this issue.

BYE FELICIA’S.

4. How about you guys and president drake use some of that money you get from every student’s activity fee that you spend on t-shirts, SOCIALS FOR YOURSELVES AT BARS, ENAMEL NAMETAGS FOR YOURSELVES, and *Coughs* BUSINESS CARDS on heating the lake or hiring real event staff….?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. “Our little club of greek life patsies won’t do what we say this one time… whaaaaaaah…. sniff, sniff”
    Man, being an undergrad OSU is just SO HARD.
    How do you guys even get out of bed in the morning?