OSU students jump into Mirror Lake as part of a Beat Michigan week tradition. This year’s jump is scheduled to take place Nov. 24. Credit: Lantern file photo

Ohio State announced Sunday morning that wristbands will again be required of students wishing to take part in this year’s Mirror Lake jump.

The jump is an annual tradition at OSU, occurring the week of the football game against the University of Michigan. This year’s jump is expected to take place on Nov. 24.

OSU’s Department of Public Safety announced the requirement of wristbands as a safety enhancement measure, adding the university does not encourage students to make the jump.

The requirement is also meant to help curb turnout to Mirror Lake by limiting participation to students.

With this, the university has also announced it plans to install temporary fencing along the perimeter of the lake, with two entrance points: one expected at the west end of the South Oval and the other just west of Hale Hall.

One exit is identified on an OSU student safety map as being located north of the Faculty Club on South Oval Drive.

This marks the third year OSU has regulated the Mirror Lake jump. Last year, about 14,000 students jumped or watched the event from within the fencing.

Wristbands will be available to any student with a Buck ID at the Ohio Union Information Center and the RPAC Welcome Center on Nov. 20, from 2 to 10 p.m.; Nov. 21, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m; Nov. 22, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Nov. 23 and 24, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The Department of Public Safety’s guidelines and safety tips for the jump can be found here.

Update Nov. 15: This article has been updated to reflect information given in a new OSU student safety map, which now identifies one exit, located near the Faculty Club.