Former OSU freshman guard Kaylan Pugh (00) guards in an exhibition game against Ursuline College on Nov. 1 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Courtesy of OSU

Ohio State women’s basketball freshman guard Kaylan Pugh has left the program, coach Kevin McGuff announced Friday.

The unexpected announcement comes just two days after Pugh played nine scoreless minutes in No. 10 OSU’s 75-72 loss on Wednesday to No. 3 Notre Dame (7-0).

Through seven games, the newcomer from Collierville, Tennessee, was averaging 12.5 minutes per game, in which she posted 5.5 points and 2.8 rebounds per contest. Pugh came to Columbus as a four-star recruit, ranked No. 26 in the country by Prospect Nation and No. 78 by ESPN.

“We appreciate Kaylan’s contributions to the women’s basketball program and wish her all the best in her future endeavors,” McGuff said in a press release.

Pugh’s largest contributions came in the Buckeyes’ (4-3) 106-47 victory over Wagner (1-4) on Nov. 22 when senior guard Cait Craft and redshirt freshman guard Kianna Holland were held out due to injuries.

Forced into a larger role, Pugh played 25 minutes off the bench, scoring 18 points while grabbing 10 rebounds and adding three assists. All three totals were season-highs.

After the game, McGuff noted Pugh’s contributions.

“I thought Kaylan did great and she played really hard,” he said. “She does that, she plays with great intensity and she got a lot of points in transition.”

The Buckeyes’ strength of starting guards and depth at the position will help mask the loss of Pugh. Starting guards Craft, senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell play the majority of time at the position, averaging 28.3, 34.7 and 34.3 minutes per game, respectively.

Behind them, Holland and sophomore guard Asia Doss project to play the majority of minutes in the backcourt.

OSU is scheduled to be back in action on Sunday against Cincinnati on the road. Tip-off is penciled in for 1 p.m.