Senior defensive tackle Adolphus Washington was cited by the city of Columbus police with a first-degree misdemeanor charge of solicitation late Wednesday night, an Ohio State spokesman confirmed.
Columbus Division of Police Sgt. Rich Weiner confirmed Washington was charged and released by the Columbus Police Vice Squad Unit. Details regarding the location of the incident could not be confirmed by The Lantern Thursday afternoon.
According to the OSU spokesman, Washington is set to appear in court on Dec. 17. Upon returning from a recruiting trip, OSU coach Urban Meyer announced Washington has been suspended for the Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame, thus ending his collegiate football career.
“Senior Adolphus Washington will be suspended from playing in Ohio State’s upcoming bowl game for violating team policy,” Meyer said in a statement issued Friday morning.
Washington issued a statement Thursday afternoon expressing remorse for his actions.
“I want to sincerely apologize to my family, to coach Meyer and the coaching staff, to my teammates and my friends for my lack of judgement last night and for my actions that I truly regret,” he said in the statement. “I have wanted to be a high-character teammate, a contributor to the success of this program and, most importantly, someone my family can be proud of.
“I am extremely disappointed in myself, and I can honestly say I will learn from my mistake and I will accept the consequences that deservedly will come my way. And I hope that people will know that I am truly sorry and that I sincerely do apologize.”
Washington has appeared in at least 10 games in each of his four years at OSU, including starting all but one game the past two seasons.
The Cincinnati product has 49 tackles playing up the middle of the defensive line this season, including four sacks for 20 yards. He also scored the first touchdown of his collegiate career, a 20-yard interception return against Western Michigan on Sept. 26.
Washington also recently accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 30. A spokesman for the Senior Bowl told The Lantern in an email that despite being suspended for the Fiesta Bowl, as of now, he’s “guessing” the game will honor his accepted invitation “barring any new developments before or after the Fiesta Bowl.”
The Senior Bowl spokesman said a formal discussion with the game’s executive director Phil Savage will be had next week but it appears Washington will still be eligible to compete in Mobile, Alabama.
Wednesday’s citation was the second in less than two months for the Buckeyes, as redshirt sophomore J.T. Barrett was cited for operating a vehicle while intoxicated early in the morning of Oct. 31. The starting quarterback was also suspended one game for that incident.
With the one-game suspension, Washington’s college career ends with 142 tackles, including 25 for a loss. Starting in his place will likely be redshirt senior Joel Hale or redshirt sophomore Michael Hill, who filled in while senior Tommy Schutt missed two games with a wrist injury earlier in the season.
Michael Huson and Kevin Stankiewicz contributed to this article.
Editor’s note: This story was updated on Dec. 10 at 3:30 p.m. to include information from Columbus Division of Police Sgt. Rich Weiner. It was updated again at 4:10 p.m. to include information about Washington’s status in the Senior Bowl, and again at 4:40 p.m. to include Washington’s statement.
Editor’s note: This story was updated again at 11 a.m. on Friday for updates about Washington’s suspension for the Fiesta Bowl. It was updated again at 5:50 p.m. on Friday to include new information on Washington’s status in the Senior Bowl.