Home » Sports » Basketball » Evan Turner’s No. 21 to be raised to the rafters at Feb. 16 Ohio State basketball game

Evan Turner’s No. 21 to be raised to the rafters at Feb. 16 Ohio State basketball game

Former OSU guard Evan Turner (21) is set to have his number retired on Feb. 16. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Former OSU guard Evan Turner (21) is set to have his number retired on Feb. 16.
Credit: Courtesy of TNS

A fifth number will soon be hanging from the rafters of the Schottenstein Center to signify Ohio State men’s basketball immortality: Evan Turner’s No. 21.

The former three-year OSU guard made Columbus his home from 2007-2010, winning the Naismith Award for the top player in the country for his final 2009-10 season. In that year, he averaged 20.4 points per game on 51.9 percent shooting and added 6.0 assists and 9.2 rebounds per contest.

Turner left for the NBA after his junior season, where he went second overall to the Philadelphia 76ers. After parts of four seasons there and a brief stop in Indiana, the Chicago native now comes off the bench for the Boston Celtics, averaging about 27 minutes per game.

The 6-foot-7 Turner was the fourth individual OSU player to win the national player of the year award. He finished his collegiate career 18th in OSU scoring with 1,517 points and ninth in assists with 414.

The No. 21 is scheduled to be lifted on Feb. 16 in a halftime ceremony during a game against Michigan, the same opponent Turner hit a famous buzzer-beating 3-pointer against in the 2010 Big Ten tournament quarterfinals.

Turner’s number will join John Havlicek’s No. 5, Jerry Lucas’s No. 11, Jim Jackson’s No. 22 and Gary Bradds’ No. 35 in the Schottenstein Center rafters. All but Havlicek won a national player of the year award.

The game against Michigan is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. on Feb. 16.

One comment

1. The best option for the program is for Matta to resign and use his health issue to save face. Butler went to two National Championship games consecutively, and Xavier is the best college team in Ohio. All after Thad left.

The program has been heading in the wrong direction the last couple of years and that continues this year. Program has done well when Ohio has had NBA talented kids which chose OSU. But recently, Matta has failed to recruit top notch Ohio kids. Matta has also failed to capitalize on the football’s team national aura.

OSU has had relatively poor coaches in the past sets a low bar that makes Matta look in comparison. But that does not Matta is a first tier coach. Jim Tressel was an excellent coach but he would not have won an national championship now. If tattoo gate hadn’t occurred, Tressel would still be coaching and Eleven Warriors would be defending him. OSU can and should do better. OSU should get the Urban Meyer of basketball