As a rule, most modern movies are filmed digitally. As a rule, Quentin Tarantino has been known to do anything but follow the rules. With his newest movie, “The Hateful Eight,” now playing at the Gateway Film Center, film fans get a chance to see Tarantino break the norms of modern movies one more time by releasing his movie in an unconventional format.

Gateway Film Center, located at 1550 N. High St., will be showing the newest Tarantino blockbuster in 70mm film.

“When you watch something digitally filmed, the film is too perfect,” said Johnny DiLoretto, director of communications at the Gateway Film Center. “Seeing movies on (70mm) film indulges you in the movie more completely, its more dreamlike and more enticing.”

DiLoretto said the 70mm camera angle is much wider, causing richer color on screen, making scenery more vibrant. 70 mm film was to the original 35mm film what IMAX is to digital film today.

Dave Filipi, director of film and video at the Wexner Center for the Arts, appreciates what Tarantino is doing with film as he said it’s very rare to see a movie filmed in 35mm, let alone 70mm.

“Filming in 70mm allows to project an incredibly large screen without compromising the picture,” Filipi said. “Since the size is so large, it adds intensity for a higher resolution and produces a more stable image.”

Filipi and DiLoretto agreed, when television first came onto the scene in the ‘50s, movies took a big hit. Fewer people were going out to see movies because they could watch television in the comfort of their own home. In an attempt to draw more people to movie theaters, Hollywood started filming in 70mm.

Filming in 70mm was created because televisions in the past were mostly square. 70mm format required a more rectangular screen, forcing movie fans to watch movies in theaters. As advancements in technology came about, directors moved towards the digital age where they could make movies perfectly flawless.

With digital mostly dominating the film industry, movies like “The Hateful Eight” give moviegoers a chance to enjoy modern movies filmed classically. “The Hateful Eight” will be shown in 70mm film at Gateway Film Center Friday through Tuesday. Showings are at 3:20 and 10:40 p.m. on Friday, 7 and 10:40 p.m. on the following days. Tickets are $15 and are available online and at the box office.