Actress Charlize Theron at the 'Mad Max Fury Road' Hollywood Premiere on May 7. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

Actress Charlize Theron at the ‘Mad Max Fury Road’ Hollywood Premiere on May 7. Credit: Courtesy of TNS

It’s award season in the world of Hollywood, and the red carpet was rolled out in Santa Monica, California, where the top critics awarded the top dogs in film and television at the 2016 Critics’ Choice Awards.

Oh, what a night, what a lovely night! Well, at least it was for “Mad Max: Fury Road,” as the movie won nine awards at the 2016 Critics’ Choice Awards, including Best Director and Best Action Movie.

For awards such as Best Hair and Makeup, Best Costume Design and Best Visual Effects, “Mad Max” was head-and-shoulders above the competition. The critics also applauded the movie for its editing and production, as it took home the awards for Best Editing and Best Production Design.

Charlize Theron won the award for Best Actress in an Action Movie for her performance in “Mad Max.” Her counterpart, Tom Hardy, won the award for Best Actor in an Action Movie, but he surprisingly did not win Best Supporting Actor for his role in “The Revenant.” It was the “Italian Stallion” Sylvester Stallone who claimed the award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in “Creed.”

Leonardo DiCaprio won Best Actor for his performance in “The Revenant,” but aside from a few other awards, it was a relatively quiet night for the movie. Although the movie was nominated for eight awards, including Best Director and Best Picture, it only won two awards.

With DiCaprio winning more awards for best actor, it seems more likely that he will win his first Oscar in February.

Quirky comedian T.J. Miller hosted the award ceremony and started the night off with an interesting monologue that included puppets and poked fun at the entertainment business, including Golden Globes’ host Ricky Gervais. It caught a few laughs, but the first award presenters — Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross from TV show “Blackish” — were able to smooth it over when Anderson commented on it and said, “Well, that was dedication.”

The 21st Critics’ Choice Awards honored achievement in TV for the first time as well. Netflix won awards for Best Comedy Series, “Master of None” starring Aziz Ansari, and Best Animated Series, “BoJack Horseman” starring Will Arnett.

Award season continues this Saturday with the 27th Producers Guild of America in Los Angeles.