Arts Editors Hannah Herner and Sallee Ann Ruibal pose for a picture in The Lantern Newsroom. Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz | Assistant Sports Editor

Sallee Ann

I am conceited enough to say that I love looking like I work out. As a lifelong couch potato, I think I deserve to be proud of every time I get off my butt and lift some weights or punch a heavy bag. And people do say you should dress for success…

In my busy schedule today, I didn’t have enough time to change after hitting the gym. So a spritz of dry shampoo and an exfoliating wipe took me from simply athletic to athleisure, a term meaning athletic wear for the everyday.

My tank top supports a student organization I’m in called CHAARG. It’s a fitness group devoted to helping girls “find their fit” when it comes to working out. I owe a lot of my fitness success to the girls I’ve met in CHAARG, so I always like to represent them.

I didn’t want to pair a black tank with all black leggings, so I opted for this grey and black Nike pair. My shoes, also Nike, add another pop of color with the pink details. Unfortunately, I am not a sponsored athlete, so I can’t afford everything Nike. My grey sports bra was around five bucks at Target.

With the black and grey of my outfit pretty well balanced, I wanted to add just a couple more pops of pink. I threw on a pink hoodie and a swipe of pink lipstick.

The cherry on top is my wireless Beats by Dre headphones. I love to wear them when working out or walking across campus because there’s nothing to get caught on barbells or unsuspecting doorknobs. Plus, Migos is always better in surround sound, “harder, better, faster, stronger.”

Hannah

I actually laid this outfit out on Sunday night in preparation for the week like I used to in elementary school. As lame as it may sound, getting to put on a cool outfit makes me excited to get up in the morning. Since it is the first week of classes and also my first week working at The Lantern, I wanted to look put together in hopes of feeling put together in my mind.  

While I have a strong love for all things glittery and pink, I like to mix it up sometimes. This outfit is on the androgynous side for me; I feel like a stylish boy could rock the same look. Fashion doesn’t always have to be about looking the most conventionally pretty or feminine. It shows confidence for a girl to wear something more structured and even boyish.

I got this shirt from Brandy Melville in London, under the impression that it was a super exclusive brand. Upon learning that pretty much every girl ever wears Brandy Melville, I tried to make it look a little less “basic bitch” with the rest of the outfit. The cardigan actually has a varsity letter “H” on it, so I had to grab it when I saw it at Forever 21.  

Every pair of pants I own, including this green pair, is from Gap. My philosophy is that if you find a brand that fits right, don’t bother trying on pants from other places. I like that they’re not your typical stretchy, clingy skinny jean. I think they’re supposed to be on the short side so you can show off cool shoes and socks, too.

My shoes are actually men’s shoes from Doc Martens. I gravitated toward them because they remind me of some shoes that my grandpa had. They kind of make my feet look like canoes, but I still love them because they’re unexpected.

Finally, I did my hair in pigtails and went heavier on the makeup to balance out the boyishness of the look. A good thing to remember in general: it’s important to strike a balance.