University Police officers Bruce Allen (left), Kyle Yeager (middle) and Chris Dzubak (right) swearing into office on Feb. 9, 2016. Credit: Muyao Shen | Assistant Photo Editor

Ohio State officially welcomed three new police officers into the ranks of the University Police on Tuesday.

Kyle Yeager, Chris Dzubak and Bruce Allen were sworn in by Andraea Douglass, senior vice president of Talent, Culture and Human Resources.

Acting Police Chief Craig Stone said at the ceremony that the new additions to the division come at an exciting time for the University Police.

“This is the first time since I’ve been at OSU that we’ve sworn in three officers at once, and I think it speaks to the importance of the job,” said Vernon Baisden, assistant vice president and director of Public Safety.

The officers will spend three weeks in a classroom setting, Captain David Rose said in an email. After the classroom work is completed, the officers will be assigned to patrol with a training officer. In total, the officers will spend 17 weeks in training.

Allen received his bachelor’s degree in criminology from OSU, and later graduated from the Ohio Highway Patrol Basic Training Academy in 2014. He recently served as a state trooper.

“Getting to influence students in a positive way is something I’m really looking forward to,” he said.

Dzubak said he was looking forward to the different opportunities a police division like OSU’s can provide.

“This experience will be unique because of the diversity on campus and the police force,” he said.

Dzubak earned a bachelor’s degree in government, law and national security from Misericordia University in Pennsylvania. He completed his Ohio Peace Officer Training certification last year through the Delaware Area Career Center.

Yeager, another OSU alumnus, graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the School of Environmental and Natural Resources in 2012.

“I worked for Franklin County Metro Parks, Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the highway patrol. But I saw this opportunity posted, and I’m very happy with the decision I made to come work here,” he said.

Stone said during the ceremony that it is the University Police’s responsibility to help students succeed.

“Students are our customers, and we expect everyone to be vigilant in their work,” he said.

Rose added that there is a long history of the University Police.

“You all are now a part of the legacy. We must respect the office we’ve been entrusted with. Our actions reflect our history,” Rose said to the inductees.

Stone then presented the newly sworn-in officers with their wallet badges, and he thanked them for their dedication.

Baisden said the process of hiring new officers takes six months.

“You know the selection process is difficult, but we’re proud of the services they provide, and we’re proud you were selected to take this role,” he said.