Home » Campus » Area » Ohio State issues safety notice after student reports assault Tuesday night on campus

Ohio State issues safety notice after student reports assault Tuesday night on campus

University Police has issued a public safety notice following a reported assault that occurred on campus Tuesday evening.

The notice, which was emailed to members of the Ohio State community Thursday afternoon, said a female student was confronted by a man in the North Campus area near Woodruff Avenue between Schoenbaum Hall, Gerlach Hall and Norton House between 11:15 and 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday. The unidentified suspect, believed to be a white male with brown hair, of medium build and standing between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-8, reportedly grabbed the student by the arm and pushed her against a wall before grabbing her throat, according to the notice.

The suspect also made “several verbal advances,” the notice read.

The student was able to run away to safety after fighting back by hitting and kicking the suspect, according to the notice.

At the time of the incident, the suspect was wearing a long-sleeve shirt and his voice was described as “slightly raspy and sort of deep,” the notice stated.

The notice encourages anyone with information regarding this crime to contact University Police at 614-292-2121 or Columbus Police at 614-645-4545. Information can also be reported anonymously to Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS or the University Crime Stoppers Tips line at 614-247-TIPS.

One comment

1. Students' friend

Without explanation, OSU once again delays almost 48 hours in informing the campus communication of an assault with no one apprehended. This is far too long, and yet another reminder that OSU is an unsafe environment. Security is insufficient. Student residences seem to have built with no regard to safety. This is inexcusable.

When will a major tragedy occur? When will an injured party have to sue OSU for responsible protections and reasonable communications to be put in place?