Home » Campus » Area » Sanders to host rally at Schottenstein Center Sunday afternoon

Sanders to host rally at Schottenstein Center Sunday afternoon

Hundreds of people met at Wexner Center Plaza on Feb 27, marching to express their support for the Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Credit: Muyao Shen | Asst. Photo Editor

Vermont Sen. and Democratic Party presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is set to visit Ohio State’s campus Sunday to address supporters at a rally held at the Schottenstein Center.

The event is one of three in Columbus Sanders is planning to attend in preparation for Tuesday’s primary, a must-win for the senator as he tries to narrow frontrunner Hillary Clinton’s delegate gap.

The rally is free, but a Sanders campaign press release encourages interested attendees to RSVP on Sanders’ website. Doors are scheduled to open at 3:30 p.m and admission is granted on a first come, first served basis, the release stated.

The release also said that the public will enter through the northeast doors of the Schottenstein Center. Attendees are asked to refrain from bringing bags and to limit belongings to personal items such as keys and cell phones. Additionally, weapons, sharp objects, chairs and signs or banners attached to sticks are prohibited from the event for security reasons, according to the release.

Sanders is expected to touch upon several elements of his presidential campaign during the event, including college affordability and criminal justice reform, the release stated.

The rally announcement comes days after Sanders and Clinton confirmed their attendance at a town hall forum hosted by CNN and TV One. That event is scheduled to take place in OSU’s Mershon Auditorium from 8 to 10 p.m. on Sunday.

An application open to all OSU students, faculty and staff interested in attending the forum was released on Thursday. CNN is set to choose participants from the pool of applicants, meaning simply filling out the form does not guarantee access to the event.

Clinton and Sanders are also both expected to speak at Sunday’s Ohio Democratic Party Legacy Dinner at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, according to the Ohio Democrats’ website.

Although Republican Party candidates Donald Trump and Ohio Gov. John Kasich both have campaign stops in Ohio planned for the days leading up to the primary, neither have announced any official campaign or volunteer events listed at OSU as of Saturday morning.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who is also competing for the Republican Party’s nomination, is set to host a rally at the Northland Performing Arts Center in Columbus from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Sunday. Doors are scheduled to open at 6:30 p.m. and interested attendees can register on the candidate’s website.

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, another Republican Party candidate, does not have any events scheduled in Ohio before the primary, according to his campaign website.

Editor’s Note: This story was updated on March 12 to include information on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s Columbus rally.

One comment

1. FormerOSUDemocrat

Try reading this aloud.

The late Nobel laureate in economics Milton Friedman recorded his famous 1994 interview about socialism. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15idnfuyqXs&feature=related

He makes an interesting statement. He says that socialism has been proven to be a failure, time and time again, while capitalism has been proven to be a great benefit to the people, time and time again. Then he goes on to say that in spite of the failure of socialism, governments – the world over – are moving increasingly towards socialism. He is right. Let’s talk about socialism.

What is socialism? Wikipedia defines socialism as “an economic system characterized by social ownership and control of production and co-operative management of the economy.”

Okay, but what does that mean? It means that with socialism property is not owned by the individual but by the society. Some people would say that is a good idea. They would say that Jesus Christ would want us to love each other and share everything. So why all the opposition to socialism by all those hard hearted conservatives?

Friedman answers that question. In the above mentioned interview he says that socialism creates a society that is less safe and less prosperous for the society as a whole. Socialism destroys the quality of goods and services and the economy of everything it touches whether it is medicine, education or industry in general. Socialism is not compassionate. It does not help the poor in spite of all the rhetoric to the contrary.

Friedman uses this example. He explains that currently our educational system is the most socialized part of our government and our economy in the United States today. He explains that when he was a young man he was able to obtain a college education because of his high score on a scholarship test. He received that scholarship at a time when socialism had not invaded the educational system like it has today.

He then said that today’s scholarships are not given to those who are the most able, but those who are the least able. Socialism, instead of rewarding competence, rewards incompetence. It tries to elevate society from the bottom up. Friedman then states, “no social progress has ever come from the bottom up”.

As our education system has become more and more socialized (more controlled by the federal government, less controlled by the states and the people) the quality of education has declined. Socialism is killing the quality of education in the United States. Between the NEA (National Education Association) and the Department of Education, the quality of the educational experience continues to fall for our children- compared to other nations, in spite of the fact that we spend more money on education than any other nation in the world.

Similarly as government (social ownership) has increased and individual or private sector ownership and control have decreased the quality of our healthcare system has also been negatively affected.

Friedman mentions in the interview that in 1928 10-15% of the economy was controlled by government while roughly 85% of the economy was controlled by the private sector but today (1994) the government controls over half of the economy. He then says that even though the standard of living has improved over the years, the innovations that have improved our standard of living have come from the private sector, not from government and, he states, the people were safer and more secure in 1928 than they are today(1994).

Go listen to this interview. It will be time well spent. Friedman’s perspective is worth paying attention to.