Home » Opinion » Letters to Editor » Letter to the Editor: OSU administration responds to sit-in leaders’ criticisms

Letter to the Editor: OSU administration responds to sit-in leaders’ criticisms

Students and faculty of Ohio State chanting in front of University President Michael Drake’s office on April 6. Mitch Hooper | Lantern reporter

The university was surprised and disappointed to read the litany of false and inflammatory claims made in the April 13 Lantern story about recent protests. (“The activist-admin disconnect.”)

While these students protest about not being heard, the facts are quite the opposite. University officials have conducted dialogue and forums for students and our broader university community regarding these issues more than 30 times. In some cases, we have been engaging with students for years; in another the university’s well-publicized goals already go far beyond these students’ requests.

The article in question also contains an absurd assertion that the Board of Trustees appointed senior leaders using criteria other than excellence and achievement. This statement was inappropriate, offensive and completely false. It was beneath us.

Chris Davey

Spokesman, The Ohio State University

1. Thats not a response, that’s a temper tantrum.
    Which is, ironically, exactly the problem with the administration in the first place.

2. These extraordinary, lopsided salaries and benefits of the “bureaucrats” running OSU have reduced the students to, essentially, the status of slaves. Why should students have to take on thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt to pay for these bureaucrats absurd “windfalls”? It’s irrational. The students should be screaming bloody murder until that circumstance is rectified. “Organized crime” doesn’t rip people off to this extent! $1.4 TRILLION in student loans and nobody is protesting?

3. You don’t have to go to Ohio State. Columbus State is a much more affordable higher education option. You can attend there, transfer credits at almost a 1:1 ratio, for all but your remaining 30 credit hours. Take the remaing hours at Ohio State so that you can still acheive the Ohio State diploma, if that is your goal.

Your argument is akin to buying a BMW 7 series for its performance and refinement and then complaining about paying for 93 octane and replacing pirelli lowpro tires. A Honda Accord would get you to the same destination.

While I applaud the “be the change you want to see” activism, you also have to be a realist that until students stop paying to go to Ohio State and affect the enrollment ie cashflow, nothing will change with the Establishment.

4. Kudos to Michael Drake and his staff for telling the spoiled brats that they needed tp leave or be arrested. This kind of response is long overdue. Drake apparently learned his lesson while at UC Irvine when the Muslim Student Union disrupted the speech of the Israeli ambassador to the US in 2010. They were arrested, removed and successfully prosecuted.

You students have no demands other than to get a quality education for the money your parents are spending on you. Grow up.

5. OSU didn’t exactly merge with Monterey Institute (MIIS) they chose Middlebury which I think was a mistake.
    I think the protesters had a right to protest. Maybe they were protesting against the Miis marriage and Miis wanted to get married to OSU.

Middleburry is a dumpy college in the middle of Vermont and California has Hollywood! What does Vermont have? Silicon Valley Not! Maybe Miis thinks it’s better to choose a Vermont school over Harvard or UCLA or USC or Clemson! At least OSU has a proper football program!

6. Emily of Clemson is awesome! She is A Physics grad from Clemson with a lot of awards!

http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediarelations/clemson-student-emily-thompson-awarded-astronaut-foundation-scholarship/