Ohio State starting pitcher John Havird (23) throws in NCAA tournament game versus Louisville on June 4. Courtesy: OSU Athletics

The Ohio State baseball team fell in a large, early hole and was unable to climb out as they lost 15-3 to the host, and No. 1 seeded, Louisville in the second round of the Louisville regional.

After striking out the side on 11 pitches in the top of the first inning, sophomore starting pitcher Brendan McKay helped his own cause in the bottom half of the inning, driving a 1-2 pitch over the right field wall to give the Cardinals an early 2-0 advantage.

In the third inning, the rain started pouring down in Louisville, and so did the runs. It was again McKay who sparked the offense as he delivered a RBI single to right with runners on first and second. After two doubles and a passed ball scored three more runs, senior first baseman Danny Rosenbaum mashed a two-run home run to deep left-center field to expand the lead to 8-0. That would end the night for Ohio State’s starter, senior left-hander John Havird. Two more runs off redshirt sophomore right-hander Austin Woodby would make it 10-0 Louisville before the third inning ended.

From that point on, it was all Louisville. The Cardinals added three runs in the fourth inning off another home run from Rosenbaum and they plated an additional run in the fifth.

The Buckeyes would eventually put themselves on the board. With a runner on first, senior pinch-hitter Daulton Mosbarger hit a homerun over the right field wall to cut the deficit to only 12. A run in the bottom of the eighth by Louisville and a run in the top of the ninth by Ohio State brought the final score to 15-3

It was a brutal outing for Ohio State’s starting pitcher on the mound. John Havird entered the day with a 6-3 record and a 3.02 ERA, but ended the night with a loss and a 3.73 ERA. He failed to register an out in the third inning as he gave up six runs on a walk and five hits in the inning. Havird finished the night with two innings pitched, eight hits, eight runs (all earned), two walks and only one strikeout. He also surrendered two home runs in his two innings of work after only allowing two in his previous 92 innings.

Louisville’s sophomore starting pitcher Brendan McKay, on the other hand, was extremely sharp both on the mound and at the dish. McKay delivered 5.2 scoreless innings before his outing was cut short by a 48 minute rain delay in the top of the sixth. He allowed only six baserunners off three hits and three walks. McKay struck out ten batters in the outing. At the plate, McKay was two for four with a home run, three runs batted in and two runs scored

Following the loss to the Cardinals, the Buckeyes will attempt to stave off elimination and keep their title hopes alive in a rematch against the Wright State Raiders on Sunday at noon.