Ohio State junior swimmer Lindsey Clary competes at the Big Ten championships in February, 2016. Credit: OSU Athletics

The US Olympic Team Swimming Trials began on Sunday with hundreds of competitors attempting to earn a spot and represent team USA in Rio de Janeiro later this summer.

Among those athletes were 34 members of the Ohio State men’s and women’s swimming teams looking to trade in their Scarlet and Gray suits for Red, White and Blue.

Junior Lindsey Clary placed eighth in the women’s individual medley with a time of 4:42.04 and was the lone Buckeye to advance to an event final. There she took seventh place with a time of 4:42.81. The top two in each event make the Olympic team.

On the second day of the trials, Clary was back at again, this time in the women’s 400 meter freestyle. She did not advance and finished 25th with a time of 4:14.04

On the first day, senior Chris DePietro competed in the 400 meter individual medley. He finished 70th with a time of 4:31.81.

Junior Joey Long competed in the 400 m freestyle and finished with a 3.58.89 time, 54th in the event.

The Buckeyes had four representatives in the Men’s 100 meter breaststroke. Recent graduate D.J. MacDonald finished the highest of the four Buckeyes in 24th place with a time of 1:01.67. Junior Jack Barone finished 41st with a time of 1:02.58. Sophomore Frannie Brogan swam with a time of 1:03.50, good for 77th place in this trial. Junior Michael Eaton was the last of the Buckeyes with a time of 1:04.92, finishing 126th.

The other female competitor for the Buckeyes, junior Katie Antal, competed in the 100 meter breaststroke. She finished in 100th place.

In the first of the male trial rounds of Monday, senior Joshua Fleagle finished in 38th place with a time of 1:50.34.

Five Buckeyes competed in the 100 meter breaststroke. Junior Thomas Trace finished the highest in 61st place with a time of 56.56. Next up for the Scarlet and Gray was sophomore Brad Shannon who came in 78th place with a time of 56.81. Senior Matt McHugh finished with a time of 57.38, 126th place. Junior Mark Belanger finished 131st after racing with a time of 57.49 seconds. Senior Andrew Appleby was disqualified.

The Olympic Trials will continue until Sunday, July 3rd.