Then-redshirt-sophomore running back Bri'onte Dunn (25) carries the ball during the 2014 OSU Spring Game on at Ohio Stadium. Credit: Lantern file photo

Then-redshirt sophomore running back Bri’onte Dunn (25) carries the ball during the 2014 OSU Spring Game on at Ohio Stadium.
Credit: Lantern file photo

Redshirt senior running back Bri’onte Dunn has been dismissed from the Ohio State football team, the team announced on Monday night.

In a statement from coach Urban Meyer, he said that Dunn had been dismissed due to a “violation of team rules.” Tim May of the Columbus Dispatch reported that a protection order had been filed on Monday against Dunn by a woman believed to be his girlfriend. He was entering his final season of eligibility.

Dunn was expected to compete for the starting running back job with redshirt freshman Mike Weber.

Mostly entering the game after the outcome was all but final, Dunn played 11 games as a true freshman in 2012 totaling 133 yards rushing and scoring twice. He redshirted in 2013 and played just eight games on the national championship team in 2014, where he was handed the ball nine times for a total of 63 yards.

Last season, Dunn played in all 13 games, mostly on special teams, carrying the ball 14 times for 91 yards.

Now with Dunn effectively out of contention for replacing Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield, Weber is in line to be the starter in the backfield. Junior H-back Curtis Samuel or true freshman Antonio Williams could see second-string duties in 2016.

Ohio State opens the season on Sept. 3 against Bowling Green. Kickoff is set for noon at Ohio Stadium.

7/18 Editor’s Note: Updated with information about protection order against Dunn.