Ohio State handed down a semester-long suspension to redshirt freshman wide receiver Torrance Gibson on Monday.
OSU coach Urban Meyer told the media the athletic department had no control over the decision, and he and the staff “disagree” with the decision.
During the weekly Big Ten coaches’ teleconference, Meyer offered clarity into Gibson’s future at OSU.
“I believe that’s the plan (for him to return),” Meyer said. “This all just happened in the last week, so we’re still dealing with it.”
Gibson came into OSU ranked as the No. 6 athlete in the class of 2015. He has now missed his first two seasons at OSU due to injury and a suspension.
The Buckeyes only have six graduating seniors currently on scholarship, and as it stands, the 2017 recruiting class for OSU has 18 commitments, not including freshman punter Drue Chrisman, who is currently paying his own way.
If Chrisman were to go on scholarship, that would put OSU 13 scholarships over the NCAA’s 85 football-scholarship limit in 2017, meaning a combination of 13 Buckeyes currently on scholarship or incoming freshmen will not be on scholarship next season.
And one can bet that OSU will continue to pursue several recruits before national signing day in February.
If Gibson were to transfer, a scholarship would open up for OSU to use next season.
However, OSU invested many hours in the recruitment of Gibson. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound, wide receiver proved to create matchup problems for opposing cornerbacks, as evident by his spring game performance.
Meyer said he has communicated with Gibson since his suspension. The Buckeyes has had “zero indication” that Gibson will leave the program indefinitely. Meyer believes he will return for spring semester.
“His focus is to be the best Buckeye he can possibly be,” Meyer said.